Melbourne Magic


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 19th 2014
Published: February 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne

Some folk like big cities while others like the wilderness.

We have preferred to stay away from big cities but we were glad that we took time to have a look around Melbourne CBD.

Dear Tom Tom made a couple of mistakes getting us into the camping ground in Melbourne, and a small mistake getting us to the Spirit of Tasmania. Fortunately we had studied the roads and the road signs and didn't fall into the trap as some others we have met did. In between those two events we used Melbourne Public Transport.

The parts of the city that we traversed were not where I would choose to live, but when you look behind the fence, often there is a Merc parked in the yard. No garages for most of the homes we looked at, and little space to get off the road into the yard. No street front parking for many either.

But the Central District is fun to visit. Today's concrete and glass jungle, hidden partially behind 100 year old (or older) building facades; Not sure that the mix is cohesive, but in this age of mixed themes and an attempt to
Yum Yum YumYum Yum YumYum Yum Yum

Tasted as good as it looks. Cardiologist will not be impressed with my choice at Hopetoun Tea Rooms
secure historical landmarks for future generations, we accept the outcome.

Friends of Margs picked us up at the camp ground and drove us to Williamstown for a little sight seeing and lunch. This is an old and a little tired looking area, but where we had lunch (The Groove) was an old bluestone building in top condition inside, and the meals served were delicious. One sign left us amused, and you will see that in the photo collection below.

While we had no idea of how to get from A to B, Ian and Ruth had a loan car with Navman fitted. Seems that Navman had as much idea as we did and Tommy has a cousin. Much laughter always helps time fly.

We took a quick look at the Williamstown Marina where there is a WW2 mine sweeper on display, and across the harbour was the Queen Mary 2, visiting Melbourne for the day. Around the bay a little there are two Australian military landing craft under construction, and at the marina, a historical ferry under restoration.

Later, Ruth and Ian dropped us off in the city centre and said to take a look at
The Groove LoungeThe Groove LoungeThe Groove Lounge

Williamstown
Block Arcade. We did, and later I'll confess to sinning seriously.

The afternoon was a quite exciting preview for our next visit having identified several things we wanted to look at.

We used our Myki cards to catch the bus back to the caravan park. We were entertained – not sure that is the right word actually – by a middle aged lady who got on the bus a few stops out of CBD. She gave a male passenger a gob full as she walked past him, and fired a tirade of abuse about life and males in general for some time. The bus driver said that if she didn't stop, he would have to put her off the bus. She shut up and the rest of the journey was simply boring.

Cities have local variations - one of note in Melbourne is the number of motor cycles parked on central city foot paths. Ranging from the famous Honda Postie bike, Vespas in a myriad of colours, right through to top end Harley Davidson and Ducati machines. Cars and car parking in the centre are a problem. so many young and old commuters travel on two wheels.

While in town we had seen the most attractive cake shop window we have ever seen, so sent an SMS to Anne and Jim advising we were heading there for morning tea. Received a reply saying they also had found several excellent cake shops in St Kilda the previous afternoon.

A little later another message saying they would meet us there. They had looked the Hopetoun Tea House on Google and wanted to join us. We all sinned seriously I must admit. I was soooo glad the little Scotsman who had sat on my shoulder earlier had disapeared without trace. We noted that this tea house did not server either groul or haggis, so Scotty would not have enjoyed the fine cuisine.

The Hopetoun Tea House has been in its present location since 1862. The interior is still authentic as well. They have served High Tea to Ladies for many years, and now us ord'nry folk can enjoy the experience as well. Either book ahead 4 days or stand in the queue.

Sin always has a consequence, and this time it was enjoyable too. We walked across the Yarra River (via the bridge dummy) to the Eureka Tower. We handed over a reasonable amount of spondulicks and were up on level 88 in no time. What a great view of Melbourne, 360 panorama. Well worth the fare up. Its like taking city photos from a helicopter.

With the afternoon zooming away we headed for home by bus, even catching the right one as it headed for the CBD. All was without incident for about 15 minutes until we ran into a traffic jam. A large truck had attempted a left turn and was not able to make it around. So all outbound traffic was blocked. Marg's blood pressure rose as she wondered if we would get back to the camp ground and pick up the motorhome to head to the Tassie Ferry.

The bus driver (who had no idea of the side streets) was guided around the obstacle by a local, and eventually all was well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Block ArcadeBlock Arcade
Block Arcade

Cnr Collins St and Queen Street
Hopetoun Tea RoomsHopetoun Tea Rooms
Hopetoun Tea Rooms

Yummy window display


19th February 2014

Confessional is now closed!
Hi folks - glad you enjoyed your time in Melbourne. Margaret - hope you have bought some warm weather gear for Tassie!!!! Got home to be welcomed by 1.3m snake of indeterminate family but was VERY ANGRY!! Doors locked daily now! Keep safe and enjoy. Best wishes to Jim, and Anne when you next see them.
20th February 2014

Snakes alive
Sounds like your experience was worse than the bite from an angry mother in law! It is pleasant out of the wind this afternoon, but expect gusty wind tonight, but moderating. Hope to meet Anne and Jim off the ferry tomorrow. Rob
20th February 2014

Yum yum for the tum
Well that was interesting, great views with sinful grub. One or two of your photos reminded us of our visit to that city.
20th February 2014

Melbourne
looks as if things have changed a little? since I was nursing oh so many years ago!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb