New Years Eve & New Years Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 111, 31/12/11

Didn't do much in the day today, planned on going out later so ate early and made sandwhiches for the evening. The hostel had free sausages and pizza, we managed to get to the sausages but the pizzas were nabbed before we even got downstairs.

We headed to Federation Square to watch the entertainment, Australia's laws don't allow you to drink in public so it had to be an (almost) alcohol free night. We watched the entertainment on the stage, drummers, DJ's and live singers and bands. It was really weird as it was no way near as busy as London last year. At about 11:15 we headed to the river to watch the rooftops fireworks. When it struck midnight they went off on all the roofs around the river. To be honest it wasn't very spectacular, bonfire night fireworks in Swanley park are better than what we saw to bring in 2012 but we still had a good night.



Day 112, 01/01/12

After the fireworks we wormed our way through the crowds and got back to the hostel safely. In the morning the sun was blazing and we had 34 degree heat so we went to a town called Frankston which has a beautiful beach, shame we didn't know about it before as I would've worn my swim shorts. It was so warm sunbathing that I went for a swim in my tracky shorts and they dried within a few hours. Took a walk along the pier and into town, there was a lot of families so I am guessing this is how Aussies like to spend their New Years Day's (and Christmas Day's if it doesn't rain).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb