Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 6th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Melbourne and made our way to meet Ahsan, David's long-time pal, in the pre-booked hostel. We were feeling the cold down in this part of Oz and so we set out to explore the night-life in our jeans.

St Kilda is a trendy seaside suburb filled with boutiques, bookshops, and coffee and cake establishments. The beautiful stretch of beach and excellent pier are perfect for an evening stroll. We chose to stay in a typical backpackers' hostel, complete with a noisy bar downstairs, and bagged a five-bed dorm room for just the three of us. Bonzer!

Our days were spent sightseeing: Federation Square, Botanic Gardens, Victoria Market - all within easy reach of each other via Melbourne's free city-centre tram network. Our evenings were spent soaking up the atmosphere and the alchohol in some of Melbourne's cosmopolitan bars.

After two nights, it was time for Ahsan to leave, and after our goodbyes we arranged to take in an Australian Rules Football match at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The sport was invented as a way of keeping the cricket team fit during the winter months; which explains why it is played on a cricket ground. After listening to each of the side's amusing, old-fashioned team anthems, we watched as two teams of about nineteen players each, competed to propel the oddly shaped ball between the two posts. Plenty of rough and tumble and periodically exciting, we had a fun day out.

We only had three days in Melbourne and we could have stayed so many more. The one regret we have is missing out on the famous neighbours tour, due to the bank holiday weekend. Lets just say that we were devastated. Incidentally, we apologise for the lack of photographic evidence available to you in this entry. Our camera broke in Melbourne. Worry not - normal service will resume!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd April 2007

Cold weather coming
I love that getting into your jeans is a news worthy event! I've been wearing mine like a uniform for months. you guys have just been spoiled! ;-)

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb