First day in Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
November 14th 2006
Published: November 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had a fantastic drive down the East coast of New South Wales yesterday. We purposely chose the smaller roads to take advantage of going through seaside villages. What surprised me was the amount of rain forest we passed through. I expected more rolling hills and meadows of sheep, but when we do get into rolling hills, we see hillsides of cattle. Lots of birds, especially white cockatoos and magpies. I saw my first kangaroo yesterday--in a field with about 30 other kangaroos! Quite a sight.

One highlight was a visit to an excellent marine aviation museum in Nowra. It had very good displays of old aircraft and helicopters inside an actual hangar. Lots of historical information about the early days of flying in Australia (flying Doctor, etc.) as well as their involvement in the Vietnam War.

We had such hard rains yesterday (much needed in this area of drought) that at one point, we had to stop the car because the windshield wipers didn't handle the water. There was also a lot of wind with debris, mostly branches, on the road.

I was thrilled to be in Snowy Mountain country. We actually crossed the Snowy River just west of Orbust (or is it OR BUST!). Now I want to see that movie again.

Today, we woke up to a beautiful sunny day in Lakes Entrance on the south coast, just west of Cape Howe. Here is the beginning of 90 Mile Beach, which is really a 93 mile stretch of fabulous beach. The sand is like light brown sugar. Great surf.

Now, we are in Melbourne staying with Robin's friends from 33 years ago. Just had an excellent dinner + beer in local pub. We seem to find the best food in pubs, and usually good value. To-morrow evening we are being treated to leg of lamb at their home.

We've done some cooking and baking too while visiting friends. I made 1 batch of bread and a lemon pudding cake. Robin has done his roast vegetables and mushrooms, and salad dressings.

Needless to say, we're not losing any weight. It is a challenge to get enough exercise while driving in the car. Tomorrow, we give it up, then it's public transport.

On Friday evening, we fly to Perth for a week there before going to Thailand.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0216s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb