Didjeri-don'ts... & nearly arrested!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
August 28th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

With only a week left in this fantasic city we, of course, had to pay homage to our new home taking home some clasic aussie souvenirs, so it was off to Victoria market last week where I's seen a whole host of tacky tourist stall selling everything quintisentially Australian at cheap prices. But as with all things we do it's never that easy!!!!
We have escaped the grasp of the tram inspectors for nearly 3 months now, confident that we could blag our way out of any harms-way by saying we're tourists only here for a week and staying at a hostel... surely they can't book us for that?!
We hop onto the 96 tram as we always do to get to the city only to find 4 stops down the track a group fo ticket inspectors board our tram... "uh oh!"
We stick to our plan and say we're only they for a week or so and staying in a hostel, this wasn't as simple as we first thought, when he then calls 'the coffee palace' hostel to check our names are checked into room 'No.14' the room we said we were staying in, eek! Obviously that didn;t work so now he won't believe anything we say, great! But we won;t be beaten that easily we thought, so continued with some more Bull***t, that we were now staying with a friend of a friend of Matt's whom we don't have any contact number for. This didn't really overly impress him, but technically it could be true.
"Do we have an address for the friend?"
"How do we get in and out if you can't contact them?"
Easy enough questions and some more heart felt bull*****ing, we windled our way out of another corner.
"right well we're going to have to get the police involved... at the next stop in the city we'll get off the tram and I'll file a report, where you'll be picked up in a police car and taken to the address you've given us" (our home address)
Oh dear we now thought... mayeb if we'd told them to the truth from the start we may have been in less trouble, oh well it's a hole we now have to climb out of we thought. Again we won't be beaten! After some serious pleading and confident lying about where we are staying and how we don't have
We're not done with the model poses yet!We're not done with the model poses yet!We're not done with the model poses yet!

our boy band album cover for sure!
anything to prove where we're staying, (which we don't) we're just backpackers staying somewhere for free?
A police car pulls up next to us and as our mouths dry up and our hearts sink deep to places it has never been before, slowly begins to pull away, after we strenuously plead with him that we only have week left and really don't need police hassle at this late stage of our trip!
He ignores the police car and it slowly drives off, then annoyed, probably more at himself he gives us back our driver's license's and tells us to move on! .........phew!!!! that didn't really go how we thought it would, never mind... we weren't beaten HA HA!!!!!

Incredibly relieved we head off to Vic. market where we purchased all kinds of great gifts and souvenirs; from aboriginal art to boomerangs to the unltimate highlight; my didjeridu, which wasn't an easy choice, but I picked a winner.
It is now on it's way home and is due to arrive on the same day I arrive home, 4 months down the line!

I was very lucky to have a meal put on Darin's (Trader Bar owner) tab at a lovely resturaunt/bar called M.O.O. where I enjoyed a very good meal with a friend from work. Thankyou very much Darin, it was awesome! He'd offered to pay because I've worked so hard for the bar and he wanted to thank me for it.

Other news, I now have less than a week in Melbourne and the packing and sorting out of the house has began. It is all very sad as none of us want to leave, we really feel great here at the moment and all is brilliant. We are going to miss pretty much everything here in Australia, it's been the best second home possible and will be sorely missed for the rest of my life no doubt!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb