First Stop in OZ- Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
February 16th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At the MCG At the MCG At the MCG

We were watching the first finals!
Just on our last few days in Melbourne before setting off to Canberra for a few days and then to Sydney!!! Currently sitting in an internet cafe in St Kilda before hitting the beach for the day and a night out in central Melbourne on the night! It's been quite odd to think that its fairly hot here and cold over at home, very confusing seeing signs everywhere saying Summer 2007!

Well our stay in Melbourne has been lots of fun so far! On our arrival to our first hostel (Urban Central Backpackers) I can honestly say it felt like I was returning to halls at uni! Everyone seemed like they knew each other, there was a common room with a bar, a communal kitchen and a dining room. Then there was the dorm and our bunk beds in our room, me on the top bunk wasn't as fun as it sounds! a bit of a pain if you want to get up and get something at any point during the night and a bit of turbulence when Luc moves about below. It was very nice though, got free breakfast a duvet, aircon, a nice bathroom and generally clean. The people were nice, I think I have met people from all around the world or at least I think I will have by the end of this trip! so far irish, argentinian, italian, korean, american, south african, other parts of OZ of course, swedish and dutch.

As for our excursions we have been to a few parks around the city when the weather wasnt nice enough or bit too windy for the beach, they were all really nice!! We went to the aquarium, the MCG (Melbourne Cricket ground) to watch england beat australia which was fun! There was a free festival in St Kilda (where we're staying now) which was cool, really busy streets, packed bars, concerts on the beach, little market stalls, entertainers and loads of other bits and bobs to look at. There were also a few nights out in St Kilda and the City Centre. Southbank (City) was v cool, is on the Yarra River and just a line of very nice bars and restaurants, when we went it was a really nice warm evening and a chinese new year market/event going on so it looked really pretty! St Kilda was a bit more like a holiday resort, there were two areas Fitzroy Street and Ackland Street. Fitzroy was the nicer sort of area, lots of cool bars and restaurants (although there were some bizarrely placed shops in between). Ackland St was a lot like a normal holiday resort you can imagine the scene, packed streets, ice cream shops (wel gelato here) and the usual holiday type bars.

I believe one of the main highlights of Melbourne has to be the 'neighbours' stuff. Incredibly cheesy bit of fun! We went on a neighbours tour where we got to see erinsborough street and school, we rode on the neighbours bus there with old episodes and random music videos (if you can find the one of Paul Robinson, it's hilarious!) and then we met Karl. He loved it! He has got a proper camera pose which is the same for everyone, and just loved bigging up neighbours and the fans! so cheesy! After the tour, a few days later we went to neighbours night! almost as much cheese as your average student night, although I dont think the union could get these guests! We met Harold (who i'm afraid to tell you is a little bit pervy! not the cuddly old man you might expect!), Steph and Fraser and Karl's band (sad to admit thanx to the union its the 2nd time i've seen them!). It was a fun night, packed with fellow neighbours fans so no shame in enjoying it all!

I believe thats all I've got to fill you in on for Melbourne, I'm sure I could talk for days but I need to keep a few stories back to bore you all with on my return of course!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

in the city centre!in the city centre!
in the city centre!

me an luc had a bit of a pre-occupation with the purse for some random reason!


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb