Melbourne Cup Day - the BIG one


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Footscray
November 6th 2018
Published: November 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Cup DayCup DayCup Day

All dressed up and ready to go
Unfortunately it dawned a very wet and miserable day, even more unfortunately there was the promise of storms and even more wild weather over the coming hours! We were lucky to get on course while there was just mild drizzle, but not long after the heavens opened and it absolutely bucketed down. The first two races were run in atrocious conditios and there was even talk in the stands that the meeting might need to be called off. The lawns and open areas weren't nearly as packed as usual with a few brave and hardy soles hudling under umbrellas to keep the worst of the weather away.

The VRC (Victorian Racing Club) had made contact with the met service who advised the time the front was expected to blow through and they put the start times of the next two races back to accommodate. it worked a treat and by the time Race 5 started the sun had even started to peak through the clouds. Even wit the inclement weather it was just a spectacular day and was definitely worth having on our bucket list.



The crowds built quickly and the build up to the Cup was
Bleak OutlookBleak OutlookBleak Outlook

It was a pretty awful start to the day weather wide
super intense. Ironically the weather actually played its part and the race was run in sunny conditions! All the banter, expert advice, speculation about which runner would handle the track conditions came to a head at 3pm as the starting gates flew open and 24magnificent thoroughbreds jostled for position as the thundered down the home straight for the first time. The noise from the crowd was unbelievable as the horses ran past. Sadly tragedy struck just just past the post when The Cliffsofmoher broke a shoulder, had to be withdrawn from the race and ultimately put down-a freak accident which definitely took the gloss off proceedings. The rest of the race unfolded in spectacular fashion as Cross Counter who sat quietly at the back of the field until entering the home straight for the final time put in a blistering burst out wide to run past the horses battling hard on the inside and score a memorable win. Jeanette had won a lucky $50 bet on Cross Counter the night before so picked up $600 which was very exciting for her! Again I came out marginally ahead for the day so it was great fun all around.


HomeHomeHome

Getting comfortable in our seats -- we have the same ones for all 3 days. Tour host Des Coppins in the background.

We didnt really explore the grounds too much because of the weather but hopefully Oaks Day wil be kinder to us and we'll be able to have a good look around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb