Days 58 - 61


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Coburg
August 21st 2009
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday it was still rainy and I could feel my cold developing into flu but we couldn’t spend another day bumming so we headed back into the city. We decided to climb the sky tower - by climb I mean pay to use the lift. It is 305m high and contains the tallest post box in the southern hemisphere (unfortunately we didn’t have a postcard!). The building itself is very thin leading up to a wider bit at the top which has binoculars placed all around it. We walked around it for a while spotting all the different sites and then went to the cafe and had a beer and a glass of wine overlooking the whole city. That evening we had re-arranged to meet our friends Sarah, Carley and Chris; they arrived with their friend Cooper and we all went for something to eat and a few drinks - after Andy got us lost and led us to a street named “yurong”. After a few hours with them we headed back on the bus to the campsite and said goodbye to Sydney. Thursday morning we headed for the highway to Melbourne and stopped at a place called Bateman’s Bay. By now I was feeling really ill taking flu tablets and vitamin C to try and make me feel better. By the time we reached our stop my temperature had gone up but I felt freezing cold - another night in Sandman was not going to do me any good so we booked into a cheap motel for the evening. The next day I was feeling much better, a night in a warm bed had done me the world of good. That evening we made it to a place called Sale but there is not really much to say about it other then we stayed at a showground for the evening for free. Today we have reached Melbourne and our first impressions really haven’t been that great; we haven’t been into the city centre but the outskirts seem very rundown and rough looking. We were going to try and free camp but we couldn’t really find anywhere that we felt safe so we have booked into a caravan park for our time here. We cannot believe we only have 5 days left in Australia! It has all gone so fast and we have done and seen so many amazing things! Tomorrow we will head into the city and see if our opinion changes at all - I’m sure it will; there are rough areas of every town I guess.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb