Paddy can you see the forest? No Murphy there's too many trees in the way


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » City Centre
April 4th 2007
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I thought i'd start with a gag. And a bloody good one at that!

After about 10 days in Melbourne i can firmly say that i love the place and will definatley be coming back to work for a while. If my working visa is successful that is!

On my first day in the big city i decided to experience what seems to be a religion down there and watch an AFL game. The game reminded me a little bit of a game/bullying that used to happen at school.....Bundles. The ball would go loose and then 15 massive blokes would jump on each other and proceed to hump each other on the floor until someone manages to get it and kick it as far as possible. Obviously while i was at the game i was pretending that i loved it as i was surrounded by what appeared to be the brothers of the 15 massive blokes! "Go Brisbane Lions" i shouted..."sorry mate" i said in a slightly girly voice "I mean Go Geelong...you suck Lions!". The game is actually good entertainment although for a game where kicking makes up about 90% of the action, they are suprisingly very poor at directing their kicks. But it doesn't really matter as they get a point for missing anyway!

Having taken in the delights of the city and there are many delights, i decided, under the influence of my new German friend, Hanni (Honey), to take in a bit of culture at the Art Gallery (it was free entry). However, as you know this is not my usual sort of pass-time so i looked a bit out of place. Kind of like a turtle in a wetsuit if you can imagine that. I just didn't quite fit in with the poshies and their horse-like laughs so i got the hell out of there and stumbled into an Irish Pub. It was here that i learned that the most drink friendly party on the the planet was shortly arriving in Melbourne; St Patricks Day! As such i promtly made friends with a group of Irish people and made arrangements to party. The only drawback to this night was that the Grand Prix was the following day and i'd already purchased a ticket! Not good planning Mr Eccelstone (thats Ernie, not the guy that played Dr Who!).

This was a great night, crawling from one Irish bar to the next but unfortunately and quite predictably, I cant remember much of it so there is not a whole lot to say. The Grand Prix however is a bit clearer in my mind. The noise was incredible and im sure i can still hear the cars screaming past now. Watching the event however proved to be a bit tricky because as i was walking around the track absorbing the atmosphere...i missed the final lap! So I didnt see the main part but It was a good experience none-the-less and even better to see our English Boy Hamilton on the podium!!

Following this, I bumped into some friends, Jonny and Jodie, that i had met in Byron Bay 2 months previously, and then all the way up the East coast in every town i stopped in so i enjoyed a few more nights out in Melbourne. For a tourist this is not easy as it is quite an accomplishment to find the best bar/clubs as they are conveniently placed down hidden ally ways and all seem to be sound-proofed to avoid detection. This turned out to be really cool though as you trapse down random ally ways for a piss and accidently fall into a pub!

It is hard to explain just how good Melbourne is.There is a certain vibe about the place which makes it enjoyable to just walk around and watch strange people doing strange things. I met some cool people there and secured a few more destinations for the latter part of my trip. ie Germany and Ireland. Not sure if they know it yet but they will be putting me up for a few days...cheers


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Arty stuff at Federation SquareArty stuff at Federation Square
Arty stuff at Federation Square

This was a cool hang-out as there was always something happening here
Paddy's nightPaddy's night
Paddy's night

with a real live paddy!


5th April 2007

Ernie?
That's Bernie you plonk! Ernie was a milkman!! Who paid for your education??

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb