Things To Do and Places To Visit In Melbourne, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
July 29th 2013
Published: July 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Melbourne is the capital city of the Australian state of Victoria. It is also has the second most populated city in the entire country. Melbournehas received a number of prestigious accolades over the year from a number of sources, including having been designated The World's Most Livable City in both 2011 and 2012 by the Economist Group's Intelligence Unit. Today, Melbourne is known as the Cultural Capital of Australia and has lots to offer residents and tourists alike. In fact, the city attracts over 15 million tourists each year. If you find yourself as a tourist in Melbourne, we're going to show you some of the sights and attractions that are not to be missed. Here they are – in no particular order.

Eureka Skydeck

The Eureka Skydeck is located inside the Eureka Tower and is the highest viewing platform in the southern hemisphere. The Eureka Tower, at 975ft, is the tallest residential building in the world. The Skydeck is a glass cube elevator that glides three meters from the building's exterior and provides a fantastic view of the city in all directions.

Crown Casino and Entertainment Complex

The Crown Casino and Entertainment Complex is a sprawling casino and entertainment compound located on the southern bank of the Yarra River. Spanning more than two full city blocks, the Crown Casino and Entertainment Complex includes one of Melbourne's most prestigious hotels - the Crown Towers - as well as restaurants, boutiques and cinemas.

Waterfront City

Waterfront City is a shopping and entertainment area within the new expansion project along the Yarra River known as the Docklands. There are lots of points of interest here, including the Melbourne Star Ferris wheel and numerous shops and cafes. There are two stages in Waterfront City for various performances, like the circus and musical events. There are also a number of bronze statues in Waterfront City bearing the likenesses of famous Australians.

Luna Park

Luna Park is a wonderful vintage amusement part that has been in operation since 1912. You'll find all kinda of lovely old attractions there, including some amazing wooden roller coasters. It's a beautiful sight to see after dark, especially the famous 'gate face' at the entrance.

Queen Victoria Market

The Queen Victoria Market is a wonderful place to visit any time of the year. It's a world famous shopping mecca, comprised of more than seven hectares and over one thousand vendors. It's also the largest open air market in the southern hemisphere and has been in continuous operation since it first opened in 1878. There's no telling what you'll find at there - perhaps even exotic Australian produce, gourmet foods and authentic Australian artifacts.

Healesville Sanctuary

Nothing says "Australia" like kangaroos and koalas and there is no better place to see either of them in their natural habitats than in Healesville Sanctuary. It provides 70 acres of true Australian bushland that allows visitors unique glimpses and close encounters with some of Australia's most recognizable symbols. In addition to the kangaroos and koalas, you will also find dingoes, platypus and wombats.

Mary is a British by birth and loves to travel and experience different cultures and foods around the world. She has recently worked with Eat Now in Australia to visit popular places and written a series of articles. If you are looking for Takeaways in Melbourne , visit Eat Now website to order food online from a variety of restaurants across Melbourne City.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb