Hostel Life


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
September 6th 2009
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Hows everyone doing??? (Thats an offer for you all to comment and let me know...)

Life is much the same in Melbourne. I am now the second longest resident in the hostel - can't decide if that's a good or bad thing, but it's still a lot of fun. There is a continual debate in my head over the pluses and minuses of finding a house and it comes down to this:

If i move out I will have a much quieter life and meet much less people, BUT I would have my own room and proper cooking facilities. Hmmm, somehow that made it all sound so simple. Anyway, below is a picture of my bed (the lower one). As you can see mum, I am still an incredibley messy person. Organised disaster, yup, must definitely organised...

In minor news, a second debate is raging over what is the cheaper nastier purchase - Bali trainers that fell apart in a few days but cost 5 quid, or Aussie shoes that fell apart in a month whilst walking home after a crap day at work and cost 20 quid. See below for some shocking footage...

A few days ago I crossed the 10 months barrier and still going strong. Life has changed so dramatically over the last year, from feeling like a waste of space and cowering over the idea of going travelling on my own. Practically crapping myself on the plane to India, actually cra.... Ummm, scrap that. I think next time I write I will do a self-indulgent 'high-light' post and recap the travels, seems kind of appropriate as I'm not travelling anymore and so I spend a fair amount of time talking to the guys here who's also been over SE Asia.

Ramble ramble.

From tomorrow there will be a 4th person from the Laos days working in the office - considering there is a total of 8 people there - its pretty impressive! I am going to be spending most of my time at work over the next couple of months renovating http://www.iama.org.au/ because frankly our website is a pathetic heap. Unfortunately for the company, I have no experience of doing any work on websites so if anyone has any clue how I can wing it, please let me know!
On the off chance that anyone fancies sending me some mail, it would be a genuine novelty and can be sent to PO Box 13064, Law Courts, Melbourne, Victoria, 8010, Australia.


Hostel Life

Having been in this place for a worrying 9 weeks now, you do get to witness some odd stuff. Cool/odd events that spring to mind include busking at 4am with a ginger Irish guy whilst hammered, making a duvet nest in the tv room with a Malaysian, Irish Dave returning to the hostel completely hammered after a few days away. Following taking a sip of someones drink and realizing that it was water he decided to feign death (think of vampire being exposed to sun) and falling onto his back (backpack still on) and not being able to get up (think turle on its back). Crazy French Christoph always wandered around with a bottle of the worlds cheapest nastiest red wine. Endless endless card games. Working out that we can play two player on mortal kombat, providing that you configure the joypad correctly (only 3 buttons work...). Someone leaning over the bannister to try to find out what was on the tv below, only to do a full front flip after losing his balance and falling onto the tv and somehow, luckily, his feet. Finding myself dressing somewhat skater like. Finding myself looking wierd because I wear a shirt and tie to work. Discovering that my multi-coloured trousers that were brought to go to a casino in Kathmandu are in fact the worlds best pajama trousers. Discovering that wearing pajama trousers is actually quite nice. Getting into trouble after bringing a girl back to my room whilst dating someone in my room - by accident. Very strange night. Making several hundred excuses to avoid sleeping in my bed that night. Strange stuff. Getting grabbed by a Maori guy whilst standing out the front of the hostel last friday. Watching Irish Dave take down a guy who'd just punched his girlfriend on the opposite side of the road (by take down, we are talking ultra smooth getting him in a guilletine headlock and pulling to the police car so they could arrest him). Watching old security footage of two bogans (pikeys, chavs...) coming into the hostel, one covered in blood after being glassed somewhere and being slaughtered and under the belief that someone in the hostel had done in. This progressed to them trying to kick down a dorm door whilst everyone was on the other side and had pushed a bed again the other side! Knowing that every single morning when i get up for work that I will get to see Ricky asleep on the sofa. Knowing Ricky went to the airport for his flight back to England last Saturday morning stinking of booze, extremely drunk and somewhat spattered with his own barf (we all pity whoever had to sit next to him).
Basically a lot of random stuff. Life is good, I think that's enough said really!
Hope everyone is well, I shall write again some time! Apologies if this has been a bit random, but I went out last night at 1am and almost instantly ended up as part of a lock in 4 hours later I came back with everyone fairly well done so I can't be expected to make perfect sense
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb