Burning the Candle at Both Ends


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
July 26th 2009
Published: December 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

MCGMCGMCG

It's huuuuuuuge! Shame it was built for cricket...
Hi Everyone!

For those of you who have been on tenterhooks awaiting the next thrilling instalment of 'Pork', I can only whole heartedly apologise.

There are many excuses though for this monstrous oversight. Actually, oversight is the wrong word really. Pretty much the reason is the in the title. Since getting the job here I've been doing the full time work, including last Sunday as well, which are fairly big system shocks after 8 months with no routine, except for forcing myself up early for the latest plane, train or auto mobile.

Over the past 5 weeks I've spent most of my free time unsurprisingly with people from the hostel, here's a few of the long termers: James (Australian), Bert (Belgium), Ricky (English), Kevin (Irish), Johan (Sweden), Dan (Sweden), Jess (Sweden), Christoph (France), Nikki (Holland), Marye (England), Sarah (Malaysia) and John (England), as well as loads of others who've been about for shorter times and on top of that Rick and Emma as well as their new friends. All in all, a lot of people!

Still living in the hostel for various reasons, firstly because I like it there. It's not too noisy in my current room
Trams And HorsesTrams And HorsesTrams And Horses

Funky Melbournian transport
and I love hanging out with all the people. A large reason is related to this (and the title again), I am spending all of my money. Beer is pricey here, its why people drink GOOOOOON!!!! Unfortunately for me, I just can't sink that low enough at the moment! Goon is dirt cheap boxes of wine for those of you who don't know. 6 pack of beer for $17 or a 4 litre box of strong goon for $14!

Places I've been, hmmm.... Wandered across to the Rod Laver stadium where the Australian open is held, been to Fitzroy (the 'funkiest' area of Melbourne) for Emma's 30th. Spend the night in a massive warehouse pub sucking down the local brews. Been across to Carlton to James's house - he's a manager of the hostel and owner of one of the best dogs, Happy (the sad dog). Walked the dog to the park up the road with some of the others, all laughed as Happy ambled (as opposed to ran) towards the possums who casually made their way up the trees to hide out.

Spend yesterday with Sarah who's from Kuala Lumpur and just arrived to study here. Was a nice day and so despite having epic hangovers we wandered to Victoria Market and then ambled (liking that word at the moment) across the city randomly until we came across the museum. Was out Friday night with Rick, Emma and Sarah and so heads were pretty beaten up the next day. Chose not to into the museum, wouldn't want to do everything so soon... Narrowly avoided being dragged into a Bridal Gallery that was having a huge public display next door. Watching proper Melbourne life, basketball, people throwing Aussie footballs around the park and people having picnics. Eventually we had to get back so we jumped onto the free tram and laughed at the pre-recorded voice that gives you tourist information as the tram ambles (arf) around the city past the sites, in a completely monotone voice.

Looking forward to the near future, uni and former house-mate Kat should be in Melbourne sometime in the next couple of weeks. Not seen her in far too long and she is pretty fantastic. The equally fantastic Pete (of many comments fame) should also be heading out sometime in a couple of months (you need to remind me when coz I've
The First Melbourne CrewThe First Melbourne CrewThe First Melbourne Crew

In case you're wondering, my smile is slightly pained as this was about the 3rd take and I'm squatting with the Irish guy sitting on me knee!
forgotten).

Figure I could be in the hostel for up to another month whilst I'm saving unfortunately, but life should definitely calm down a little bit then. Thinking about the past week.... out Monday to Pugs Mahones for free drinks, Wednesday a couple of after work drinks in the pub and hostel, Thursday lots of after work drinks following by dirt-cheap tasty Chinese and another bar, Friday far far far far too much to drink out with Rick, Emma and Sarah. Last night I slept like a baby, figured!

Other highlights have included having someone kicked out of my bed at 7.30am by the night manager on discovery - she was staying in the hostel previously but ran out of money so had to move an hour north to stay with relatives and had missed her last train back up there. Going to a free gig in the city on a Thursday night with VIP tickets and free alcohol all night. Despite the fact that we didn't turn out to be official VIP's (we were able to queue jump but not actually get free drinks), we still had a great night. Partly because we left, went to an off-licence, brought a $9(!) bottle of champagne each and all huddled in a filthy alleyway to chow down before going back inside. Good times....

Anyways, I better head out. I am at work on a Sunday purely to write this and respond to various other things way overdue. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb