Back to Western Civilisation with mixed results...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » CBD
May 5th 2008
Published: May 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well, after 7 months in Asia it finally came to an end. It was great to be able to have a steak and ale pie, a decent pint of cider and a conversation where everyone involved knew what each-other was saying. Back to the western civilisation that I know. Unfortunately this was rein-forced come the NZ bank holiday weekend - people running around like school kids stocking up on alcohol before the 'bottle shops' close, idiots staggering around the streets in a hammered state, vomitting over bins, lamp-posts, benches, shouting abuse and fighting. Obesity - everywhere! Many people living rough. It makes you think just how civilised we really are....?!

The stay in the arrival city of Auckland was somewhat prolonged, due to the surreal experience of an on-line webcam interview for a job in Leeds! The real thing went considerably better than the trial run in which I could hear nothing, and after the excitment of the process on both sides and after repeating the nerves a week later for a 2nd interview, I was thrilled to her that I had got the job! Most of you probably know by now, but it's a FT position in Oulton, Leeds, starting 2 weeks after I get back! It has eased the wallet hugging compulsion, even though everything seems so expensive in relation to 1quid meals in Asia!

So how was NZ? It was really good with lots of amazing views and some friendly locals. The only way to get around effectively was with a hire car, so we decided to travel around the country together, which in the most part was OK, minus a couple of occasions when homicide was a serious option!

We headed up north first, inbetween interviews and saw a couple of kauri trees estimated to be at least 2000 years old, as well as some dug up from marshlands which have been carbon-dated to 40000 years, and I thought I was old! They were impressive beasts. We were successful on a wonderful fishing trip on the north-east coast, catching a John-Dory as well as a Trevali and a Snapper. The John-Dory is considered the God of the sea as they have a 'thumb-print' of 'god' on their side. Not sure about all that but he tasted really good! The fishing trip also involved swimming onto a deserted island with grass as high as your waist. It was surreal running through it out to the other side by the sea. Something proved to disagree with my presence and stung me both on the sole of my foot and my calf. No snakes in NZ, but whatever it was left a painful itchy mess for a week!

Another highlight was a horse trek along the beaches of the East Coast. It was a horse-racing stable and most of their horses were race trained. It was awesome galloping flat out on the beach, feeling like we went from 0-60 in 2 strides!

After the second interview, we headed to Raglan, a chilled out surfer resort on the west coast. It was almost as relaxing as the 'white-water' rafting in Rotorua which was as dissappointing as a thunderstorm on bonfire night! A journey around the little visited east Cape followed. There were some lovely bays to swim in, although only once, it was freezing and some very welcoming hostels.

We were lucky to stay with 2 really nice families on the way down to the South Island. The first was a Maori guy called Ray and his wife. There was very little to do in the area, but their welcoming homestay prompted us to add a day or 2 onto the itinery. Their kids were keen to chat to us too, and somehow we became involved in a 2 hour game of RISK. If you have ever played this boardgame you will understand why 'bored' games are so named!

The second stop was a week stay with Greg on his sheep and dairy farm. We worked for 4 days to pay for our stay which included some wonderful home cooked food although sadly no lamb! I saw a lamb slaughtered and skinned and learnt a fair bit about farming. The work was not taxing - shifting, what felt like 2 tons of wood into piles and having the biggest fires you can imagine! I even played a round of golf at his local course which has 20 members! We were made to feel really welcome, even after what was one of the most inconsistent rounds of golf I have had for years! 3 pars and a 10! argh!

So the south island began. Around this point I think that each of us would have considered throwing the other into the Nelson lakes with lead-boots attached, however the walks around the lakes were really nice! They were pretty deserted and absent of the tourist hoardes that can visit some of the national parks. The inquisitive 'fan-tails' seemed to follow me around the walks, either making sure I was OK or keeping me away from their nests! Probably the latter.

The scenery in the south island was really good especially around Mt Cook, and it was great to see so many carrion birds flying around the area. However it wasn't all scenery and nature....... Mt Cook was seen aboard a helicopter (with us on speaking terms again now..!) on the first money sapping trip. It was great to get so close to a mountain that is a really difficult climb. At 4000 metres, it's not too high but the views around the Alps and across the galciers were magic. We got an even closer look of the Fox galcier on a Heli-hike. They whisk you up in the air and land you half way up the glacier, where you wander around and find what caves and tunnels you can. The colours were cracking and it was a great trip even before the guide discovered a 10 metre long enclosed tunnel which was 9 ft high. Awesome didn't do it justice. It was amazing and a really good day out. The following day, things were stepped up with an aerobatic flight cf. red bull flights, over Queenstown. This was truely one of the best things I have ever done. Loop-de-loop, upside down, vertical climbs..... up to 5.5 G's and down to -3 G's. It lasted 8 minutes for the aerobatics and left me feeling every single emotion, including a very weird 'spiritual' moment during weight-lessness - ask me about it sometime. It was much better than the bungi and sky-dive that I have done previously.

Anything in comparison could be tame I guess, but there were some other highlights including sitting watching seals and sea-lions on the wild and wind-swept beaches of the Catlins, in the south as well as seeing the rare yellow-banded penguin. More fresh fish was donated by a Malaysian family I met fishing near the Catlins. As they fished, seals frolicked in the sea some 2-3 meteres away, cracking. I watched for a while and managed to recall some Malay to chat to them in their own tongue! It made me miss Asia somewhat! There were loads of Oyster catchers on the beaches including one who hopped for as long as he could before deciding he should use 2 legs to get away from me. He looked very put out!

NZ was good with a good mix of experiences. I prefered the laid back feeling and greater Maori influenced North island, even if it lacked some of the scenery of the South.

Now I'm in Aus and looking forward to the West Coast. Staying with friends in Melbourne is fun, although has had a few dramas, more of which will follow later, along with some photos........

Only 2 months left now...... looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb