Great Ocean Road Trip Day 7 - Apollo Bay to Lorne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Lorne
September 29th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was our second last ride. 45km from Apollo Bay to Lorne. It was an overcast day with light drizzle for most of the ride.

This coast is spectacularly beautiful. It is (in the opinion of our international cyclist) the best ride in the world!

The road follows the ocean, meandering between mountain and sea, and is gently undulating. The views were simply outstanding. This ride was physically less demanding than our other days, and we completed the 45k in just over 2 hours - no doubt due to our ever increasing fitness and stamina.

We visited the Erskine Falls this arvo, in the rain. Check out the photos to fully understand how remarkable this natural wonder is. Greg took loads of photos and Annette was his creative director (lovely assistant).

We got overtaken by 2 super fit cyclists with even better legs than ours. Pete tried to keep up, but that lasted about 30 seconds (possibly in itself an exaggeration!).

When we arrived in Lorne, our support crew waived us down, and directed us to our BBQ lunch spot, which we shared with bus loads of Cambodian and Chinese tourists (who took photos of us and our food!). Pete befriended a Cambodian guy who was very impressed with both his stamina and the definition in his legs. We were really the tourist attraction.

We drove up to a lookout above Lorne, where the road was so steep that we were amazed that our 8 seater Hyundai Imax made it - skillfully driven by our much loved delusional one.



Advertisement



29th September 2011

GORT
Another exceptional entry

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb