E & J Nomads - Traralgon to Mallacoota via Orbost


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Hastings
May 2nd 2014
Published: May 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

On an overcast but mild morning on Tuesday 29th Apriland with the threat of heavy rain and strong winds we said goodbye to June & Tony and headed off at 9.30am towards Mallacoota and for whatever God had in store for us.

The weather forecast had indicated that the heavy rain would arrive in Traralgon by early afternoon, but we were heading away from it and should encounter some rain by late afternoon.

We travelled along the Princes Highway stopping at Lakes Entrance where the temperature was a mild 24 degrees for a well-earned break, a nice hot cuppa and a lunch of sandwiches we had made earlier in the morning.

After lunch we continued on our journey stopping at Orbost which is 219 klms from Traralgon. We had booked into the Orbost Caravan Park for a planned two night stay. What a great little park, great caravan sites (flat and no reversing of the caravan required), great amenities and close to the town centre. After setting up the caravan we walked into town to stretch our legs and see what Orbost had to offer.

Walking along the high street we passed a quaint little house with beautiful gardens and commented on how lovely it looked, on the way back we passed the same house and the lady in in the front garden said hello and we passed comment on how beautiful the house and gardens were. We were invited into the gardens to have a look. Cora is 89 and lives alone, she told us that her parents had moved into the house when she was 2 months old and when she married Max her parents moved out to their farm at Cann River so she and Max could live in the house. Max passed away 6 years ago and Cora has been maintaining the gardens ever since as they were Max's pride and joy. The house is across the road from a large park which is set low along the river and Cora said that when the river floods the water fills the park, crosses the high street and reaches her front fence. Cora told us that the weatherboard house has never been painted but it is oiled with creosote, something she said was no longer available.

Cora has no children and her only brother died 12 months ago. She is a Christian and
Goose CrossingGoose CrossingGoose Crossing

With Geese
attends the local Catholic Church and mentioned that no children attend her church. She asked about our church and was interested in the children that attended. She is a lovely lady.

The heavy rain reached us about 8.30pm and it rained most of the night so it was pleasing to wake up to a sunny morning on Wednesday 30th April which allowed us to walk along the banks of the Snowy River and take in the great scenery and river views.

Thursday 1st May presented us with a fine sunny morning and after breakfast it was time to pack up the caravan and at 9.15am head further down the Princes Highway towards Mallacoota, some 148 klms away. We stopped at Cann River, which is 75 klm from Orbost, for our morning cuppa and our first look at St Johns Cooperative Church. It's a very small wooden church and as it was open it was good to get our first look inside.

It was then off to Mallacoota, a further 73 klms via Genoa, followed by a right hand turn of the highway 23 klms along a winding road through glorious farm country. We arrived at the Mallacoota Foreshore Camping ground. We had been allocated the last site in a middle row of powered sites with spectacular views over the water, what more could we ask for.

After setting up the caravan and having lunch we went and explored the town centre and of course to find St Peters church. Then a relaxing evening enjoying the view the setting sun and a BBQ. How good is our God, He has provided all we need.

Friday 2nd May gave us a brilliant sunrise through the front window of the caravan followed by a clear sunny day. We have made contact with Rev'd Roger Jackman and will be meeting him at the 9.00am Sunday service at St Peters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cann RiverCann River
Cann River

Main Street
Mallacoota Caravan ParkMallacoota Caravan Park
Mallacoota Caravan Park

Jess enjoying the view from the caravan
Mallacoota Caravan ParkMallacoota Caravan Park
Mallacoota Caravan Park

A closer look at the water
Mallacoota Caravan ParkMallacoota Caravan Park
Mallacoota Caravan Park

Thought we were in Hastings for a minute
Evelyn doing some washingEvelyn doing some washing
Evelyn doing some washing

Thank you to Holy Trinity Op Shop especially Mavis
St Peters MallacootaSt Peters Mallacoota
St Peters Mallacoota

View from the Church


2nd May 2014

Traralgon to Mallacoota
Glad to see that Evelyn is keeping up with her washing lol The place looks great ring you soon

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb