Weekend in Halifax


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Hastings
December 9th 2013
Published: December 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Friday 6th Decemberwe had an opportunity to head to Halifax to catch up with family. We started off at 7.30am, just as night gave way to the morning light, walking to the bus sop for Wolverhampton. Fortunately Bob the owner of the Manor was taking his daughter to school so he picked us up at the bus stop and dropped us off at Wolverhampton station. We travelled from Wolverhampton to Manchester Piccadilly station by train then across Manchester via the Metro (tram) to Manchester Victoria station for our train to Halifax, arriving at 12.30pm a journey of some 5 hours.

We had booked in at the White Swan hotel in the centre of Halifax and we must say that the hotel was excellent. It is in a quiet part of town, newly refurbished with comfortable rooms and great facilities. The breakfast that was included was full English and plenty of it.

Halifax is a large town with a great array of shops and shopping centres and supports a large population but you don't have to travel to far to be out in the Yorkshire countryside. The accent of the locals transports you to episodes on 'Last Tango in Halifax' or 'The Last of the Summer Wine' two great British TV series.

On Saturday we visited the Piece Hall which was opened on 1st January 1779 and is Britain's oldest remaining Cloth Hall, as you will see from the pictures it is a large enclosed court yard surrounded by shops on three levels. The shops are all due to undergo renovations so most are currently empty. On Saturday night, well afternoon really as it was dark by 4.30am, the Piece Hall was the venue for a Christmas Carol service held in aid of The Children's Hospice. The carol service featured the Huddersfield Community Gospel Choir, the Hebden Bridge Junior Band, appearances by Mickey & Minnie Mouse and of course Santa.

On Sunday we visited the Halifax Minster, the St John the Baptist Church was given the status of a Minster in 2009 in recognition to its importance to the town and borough. This modern Minster has a monastic foundation and the original church was built by Clunaic monks in the 12th Century however the present structure was completed in 1438 but the north wall is thought to be from the earlier building. Services are still held at the Minster on Sundays 9.00am, 10.30am and 4.00pm plus Monday to Fridays at 9.00am & 12.30pm with organ recitals held on Thursday afternoons.

Sadly our stay in Halifax was brief and we headed back to Boningale/Albrighton on the 2.30pm train on Sunday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Great Nativity SceenGreat Nativity Sceen
Great Nativity Sceen

Halifax Minster
Halifax MinsterHalifax Minster
Halifax Minster

Was St John the Baptist Church


9th December 2013

Halifax
I didn't realize Halifax was so big. The Piece Hall is deceiving from the front what a structure. Well you are really learning how to get around our great Motherland
12th December 2013

Nostalgia, I am excited for you and Christmas
Dear Evelyn and Jess, Many thanks again for your blog, the buildings and ofcourse the churches and windows, but not the weather!! It looks so cold Brrrr Many thanks for the Diary, and the story of the little boy and his granny

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb