Our Day in Edinburgh


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Hastings
November 25th 2013
Published: November 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We said goodbye to Berwick and headed for the train station where we boarded the Glasgow via Edinburgh train. The East Coast Railway service is very comfortable, clean and has a drinks & snack trolley that moves through the carriages. The trip to Edinburgh took about 45 minutes.

We arrived in Edinburgh on time and headed for the National Express coach station where we deposited our suitcase in one of the storage lockers, then it was off to explore the city.

Our first stop of course was the Costa coffee shop for a large, large latte before we headed down the main street, Princess Street, amongst the shops, buses and road works, they are upgrading the tram network. We followed the road towards Edinburgh Castle, which is not hard to see as it is an imposing site.

On our way to the castle we passed St Cuthbert’s & St Johns churches and walked on old steep cobbled stone streets. The view of the castle and it's surrounds from the castle courtyard is excellent and well worth the walk.

We left the castle and headed towards the old part of the city to St Giles' Cathedral. Our walk then took us through busy streets and to a view overlooking the Scott Memorial.

As night closes in early this time of the year we decided to enjoy an early nice meal at Garfunkel's and although it is part of a restaurant chain the food and service was excellent. We then headed back to the coach station to catch the overnight National Express coach back to Birmingham and then onto Wolverhampton.

Although our coach trips have been uneventful we must let you know that as we passed through Stoke on Trent at about 5.00am and some 2 hours out of Birmingham we encountered heavy SNOW SNOW SNOW, our first for the season, and in the street lights and car and bus lights the snow looked like large pieces of white paper falling to the ground, everything was covered in snow. Unfortunately we have no pictures of the snow as the bus did not stop and when it did we had moved out of the snow area. The snow was great for us as we are in no hurry or rush but we know that for those about to head off to work and school it can make travel difficult. We look forward to more snow in the coming weeks and who knows even a white Christmas?


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



25th November 2013

Love the English Churches

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb