The Great Ocean Road and Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
February 5th 2009
Published: February 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It seems like such along time ago we did this but i'm gonna try to remember everything we did!! We left Adelaide and first we had to head South to the coast, it looks really close on the map but like everything here its miles!! On route we camoed over night in the national park near Port Fairy. We were the only ones there and it was beautiful overlooking the beach. When we woke up, we were having our usual wash in a bucket from a cold tap when 3 emus ran past along the beach, as we were washing we couldnt take any pictures but it was so amazing to see them right there in the wild. Back on the road, we headed to a town called Mount Gambier to restock with fuel and supplies. There is a beautiful blue lake there to which we had a stroll round and nearly ended up buying an 8 week old puppy en route!

Next stop the GOR!! As we hit the South coast the weather took a dramatic turn for the worse and it was stromy, wet with gale force winds....It was so cold and windy we could hardly get out of the car, but we did manage to check out a rock structure called London bridge and the 12 Apostles.....

The weather settled just as we hit a town called Lorne, which is really pretty, right on the beach with a free layby to sleep in and free showers on the beach so we could stop washing in the river for 3 nights!!! There was a really old cinema there and we watched Bride Wars (well I liked it!!), generally relaxed on the beach and did a bit of running...It took 3 days to tear ourselves away along the road towards Anglesea, another beautiful beach but we didn't like any of the towns as much as Lorne. After a couple more days we headed down the road towards Melbourne.

Melbourne is the biggest city we have visited in Australia. Its a cool city but without the beach its not as cool as Adelaide!! We caught up with some old work colleagues of Steves and Steve took us on the tour of the cricket ground there. There is loads of bars and shops but the main thing for us was going to the Australian open. We caught the semi-final between Roddick and Federa (no suprises to the winner there!) which was fun. It so much easier than getting a ticket to Wimbledon, and cheaper!!

After all that city excitement we were itching to get back into the car and back into the countryside!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

London Bridge London Bridge
London Bridge

In a massive storm!
The rain forest walkThe rain forest walk
The rain forest walk

Yes i am freezing!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb