Great Ocean Road - Day 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Great Ocean Road
January 12th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early today as we wanted to go to the forest walk before it was too hot. We drove up to Lavers Hill then turned right toward Beech Forest. The drive there was down many windy roads but through the Great Otway National Park, a different part of the Great ocean Road. The trees are so big!
The walk we were doing is next to the Highest Tree Top walk in the world ( according to the girl from the Information desk! ) but as we had done the one in WA we gave it amiss.
The walk to the Triplet Falls was an hour through amazing rain forest. When we got there we were the only ones there, it was so quiet and peacefull, dew was still on the floor and the cobwebs - magic! The falls were stunning - defiantly worth the detour!
We then left to get to Port Cambpell. We stopped to see the Twelve Apostles, a car park and walkway have been built just to see them! You can’t see all twelve though as they are dotted along the coastline in different places, Pretty cool to see though!
Then we stopped at Loch Ard Gorge, where one of the many ships sank, only 2 people survived. The little cove bay here is lovely though and seems a great place for a quick swim if you have time! Further down the road is London Bridge, a double bridge rock formation. There is only one part of this left as the part connecting it to mainland collapsed on Jan 15th 1990. 2 people were on it when this happened and found themselves stranded on the now “new” island for hours!!!!
We were going to stay in Port Campbell tonight but when we got there all there was was a pub and a beach. We had arrived at 1pm and thought we would get very bored so we carried onto Warrnambool. It was only another hour down the road but it was a bigger place!
We camped at the Surfers campsite, right by the beach. Thought it would be appropriate as we were told it was going to be 37degres the next day - perfect day for the beach! We set up our tent then walked into town to look for an internet cafe. I needed to book our car hire for Taz! On the way back we walked past the memorial and down to the lakes. Very peacefull. Then down to the harbour. Along the way we stopped to watch a load of kids on their BMX, scooters and bikes, looked like some sort of competition or something! This part of the harbour didn’t seem very nice, the sand was grey and it smelt of eggs! We carried on walking round to our part of the beach, this was a lot nicer and normal white sand!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb