Echuca to Robinvale, Murray Valley Highway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Echuca
August 9th 2014
Published: March 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Fowlers Bay, SAFowlers Bay, SAFowlers Bay, SA

This is going to be a 'Whale of a Tail'
We left home in Echuca after work on a Friday with the aim of putting a few Klms of tarmac under us before nightfall, after all the aim of this trip was to get over to the Head of Bight as soon as practical to watch the whales, this blog is going to be one ‘whale of a tale’! This blog will not cover any history, ‘touristy stuff’, etc on the way across to the Nullarbor, more, it will detail our route and some info that may help others in planning a trip along a similar route. We will ‘stop and smell the roses’ a bit more on our return route!

We headed straight for Nyah and a camping area which is on the banks of the Murray River behind the Harness Racing Club. This is a great free camp, (no power, amenities etc) but handy to them if needed. An easy run from home, straight up to Cohuna, (with a stop at the bakery!), and then on through Lake Boga, (where the Catalina Museum is), and Swan Hill before arriving at Nyah. The campsite is listed in Free Camps Australia, but, travelling west the turnoff is through town and on the right, it is signposted Harness Racing Club. That night we had the clearest sky with stars everywhere and the following morning we woke to a huge frost and the vehicle and van iced over. Not sure all the fruit, Almond and Grape growers would have been too impressed as a lot of budding has started on the vines and trees, anyway, we had whales to see so off we set…

After Nyah the road heads up into some interesting country. From Boundary Bend you pass by some large Almond growing operations; all look impressive setups, the orchards are ‘manicured’ and look great particularly now as they are coming into blossom. It is now you also start to see some of the massive vineyards that supply the wine cask industry, most of which you can visit at their cellar doors. I cannot recall any other area/region in Australia where the grapes are horizon to horizon (all machine harvested, pruned etc). Table grapes and citrus are also prominent from here on with a few Avocados thrown in.



From Robinvale you cross the border (and Murray River) at Euston, into NSW, to join the Sturt Highway for the run into Mildura…next Blog Mildura to Burra and the Southern Flinders Region.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb