Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Echuca
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Echuca
Latest Blogs from Echuca
- July 22nd 2013 Some 'Stats' from our trip, "The Wrong Way Around"
by Words: 644 Photos: 10
- July 16th 2013 Signs we have seen
by Words: 127 Photos: 55
- March 11th 2013 Exploring Echuca VIC.
by Words: 107 Photos: 26
- January 11th 2013 Bateman's Bay to East Melbourne
by Words: 820 Photos: 5
- May 30th 2012 36 Along the Murray to Echuca
by Words: 386 Photos: 7
- May 11th 2012 Echuca - Moama
by Words: 634 Photos: 5
- January 5th 2012 Happy new year from Oz.
by Words: 915 Photos: 18
- March 18th 2011 Day 40
by Words: 215 Photos: 0
- March 17th 2011 Day 39
by Words: 296 Photos: 0
- August 26th 2010 Day 10
by Words: 75 Photos: 0
- April 3rd 2010 We are on the way
by Words: 12 Photos: 0
- March 26th 2010 Echuca
by Words: 614 Photos: 11
- March 25th 2010 Gold awe!
by Words: 879 Photos: 17
- February 19th 2009 Day 24 - Echuca
by Words: 189 Photos: 4
- November 17th 2008 Gundagai to Echuca
by Words: 703 Photos: 7
- November 10th 2008 Following th Murray River and finding Gold
by Words: 273 Photos: 7
- April 1st 2008 Vetting in Victoria
by Words: 2424 Photos: 23
- February 21st 2008 Echuca Tomato Season 2008
by Words: 3259 Photos: 35
- January 28th 2008 Echuca, Victoria
by Words: 119 Photos: 1
- December 8th 2007 The intrepid travellers again ...........
by Words: 872 Photos: 7