Bateman's Bay to East Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Echuca
January 11th 2013
Published: January 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The south east coast of NSW is really quite beautiful with stunning beaches and national parks everywhere. We have just been cruising on down, stopping at the small towns on the way, walking their boardwalks, strolling their white sandy beaches and viewing their turquoise coloured bays.

Campsite tonight is high on a hill overlooking the twinkling lights of the next town that we will visit tomorrow which is called Bega, famous for its cheese so the cheese factory tour is most definitely on our tick list!

One of my Christmas presents was an electric keyboard, something that I have been harping on about wanting to play for more years than I care to remember so if all goes to plan and I practice as I should I may be able to play something on it maybe by the end of the year! Will keep you updated! I should have no excuses with time to spare but the days honestly go so fast as there is so much to see and do in this vast country. When the kids were small I couldn’t wait until they were old enough to crawl, then walk, go to kindie, go to school and before I knew it they were all grown up and the years had flown by. With Australia I am so keen to visit all the states as soon as possible and I know I will again turn around and wonder where all the time has gone. I know that I need to slow down and smell the roses for sure! We are having such a great time as everyday is always different what with the constant new people we meet and the many different places we visit.

Will be passing into the state of Victoria tomorrow and Pete and I are eating as much of our apples, oranges and grapes as we can. The rest will need to be chopped up and made into a fruit salad if we wish to take it through the border as the fruit fly is still a problem over here.

Well I made the fruit salad and then discovered that Pete had used the same chopping board to cut up raw chicken earlier but had not got around to washing it so we ended up chucking the whole lot out. Rather that than food poisoning! Turned out that there the border was
Fern trackFern trackFern track

Tarra Bulga National Park
not patrolled anyway so all in all it was a waste of time and certainly fruit!

Eastern Victoria has long stretches before hitting a town more so than NSW but still very interesting to drive through. Yesterday we camped by the side of the Snowy river and as it was so hot I was going to go for a swim but when I discovered that the bottom was muddy I decided not to in case I got my feet stuck! We have just spent the day at Lakes Entrance, a very touristy town but still pretty with its fishing port and day cruise boats plying the bay.

We spent the day in Sale today on our bikes exploring their boardwalks and trails around their local lake and ended up on a 20k circuit which we really enjoyed. However, it was soon spoilt when we discovered, on our return to the motor home, that our UHF aerial had been stolen. So it was off to the local police station to report the incident even though we do not hold out much hope of them finding the bloody thief or thieves. We will put it down to experience and will ensure in future that we ensure that we park amongst lots of other cars and not in a quiet car park. On the positive side, it could have been a lot worse, as we did not get broken into and our stuff inside the van stolen. That really would have been devastating.

It is Pete’s birthday today and we spent the day tramping in a beautiful national park called Tarra Bulga which reminded us very much of NZ bush with its mass of ferns being a cold temperate rainforest, apart from all the colourful birds that we came across. Our campsite for the night was only 1km from the pub in a place called Poowong of all names, so we were able to have a delicious roast dinner before parking up for the night. Had a bit of a chat to our German neighbour who had his wife, young daughter and mother-in-law with him. What a nice guy!

Today the side door hinge on the entrance to the back of the van broke once again so the morning was spent just outside Melbourne getting it fixed, hopefully for the last time.

Heading to northern Victoria now where
Tathra- Victoria coastTathra- Victoria coastTathra- Victoria coast

Beautiful snorkelling bay
it is supposedly going to get hotter, not colder! Today was 36 degrees with a warm breeze so really enjoying my half beer and soda right now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb