Driving down to Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Daylesford
February 1st 2013
Published: February 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our camping site at GundagaiiOur camping site at GundagaiiOur camping site at Gundagaii

'with the Murrumbidge flowing', beneath the bright blue sky (from Along The Road to Gundagai)
We are on the road again, driving down to Melbourne to catch the ferry to Tasmania.

Our first overnight stop was at Gundagai - we had a pretty spot by the fast-flowing Murrumbidgee. Considering how dry the country is from Sydney south, we were surprised at just how full and fast the river was - melted snow from the Snowy Mountains?

While the top half of the east coast is experiencing terrible floods, we've passed, from north of Gundagai on, half empty dams, creeks with just a trickle in them and paddocks and hills dry and wheat coloured. The black Angus cows stand in stark contrast to the gold grass but the sheep blend in and are almost invisible. There have been quite a few fires down here lately but not, thank heavens, where we have been. It's been hot but very pleasant as there hasn't been any humidity, an outback type of heat.

Once we'd crossed the Murray into Victoria at Wodoga we stopped to find B.Telstra. What would our motor home trips be without a visit to B.Telstra? This time my wifi had died, nothing on the screen. A visit to their shop had the girl removing the battery and putting it back in again and that got the wifi working once more. Doug and I had both tried doing that without success so we were both given lessons on how to slide the cover off. Both of us were standing there trying our best, neither of us could do it, so funny and so hopeless! Hopefully it will stay OK for the duration as we never did discover the trick of removing it.

We drove over to Euroa and then to Seymour where we spent the night. What a shock to wake this morning to find the southerly had come through and it was icy cold. I doubt it got more than about 16C degrees where we've been today. We decided to drive to Bendigo, this time to visit the Bendigo Knitting Mills rather than the Pottery which we often visit. I came out of there with some wool - my crocheting project for winter. I like Bendigo's grand old buildings - a relic of the wealth of the goldfields - and even the little old mining cottages dotted around town. Castlemaine is similar, it was a wealthy gold mining area too in the late 1800s.

We donned winter clothes to leave the motor home for lunch and a look around favourite Kyneton shops and here we now are at Daylesford for the night. Mt. Macedon isn't far away which probably explains some of the ccc-cold but I hope it's warmer tomorrow when we head to Melbourne. At least now the sun is shining, oops, no, it's raining.

If you click on the photos you have a better view.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb