Fraycinet and Wine Glass Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Freycinet (Fray-sin-ay) and Wine Glass Bay
November 10, 2008

No Tasmanian Devil shrieks were heard last night, I’m sorry to report.

The skies were blue with fluffy clouds today, just the way I like it. We drove to Freycinet National Park on the east coast of Tasmania with a few stops for oohing and aahing at this and that. We traveled through what are called the Midlands and stopped at a couple of small towns that had many beautiful historic homes. There is a big difference between western and eastern Tasmania, mainly because most of the west that we saw is World Heritage land and today we saw vineyards, pastures, orchards, and other fields of growing things. This state is full of wallabies and we also saw a very large blue-tongued lizard.

Our goal was Freycinet NP and it was a worthy one. This place is beautiful with lots of walking tracks and shoreline to enjoy. We took a short (90 minutes) but steep hike up to the overlook of Wineglass Bay, then another short walk to the lighthouse and the area nearby.

“Are there hookups?” Those are three words that I never thought I would ever say, since I was pretty sure I’d never be in an RV. But I did ask it today regarding the Park’s Caravan Campground and I am in an RV. We are right on the beach and there ARE hookups so I can run the heater if I get cold tonight. What a pretty place this is. We took a long sunset stroll and were surprised at how many seashells and how few people (just us) were on the beach..

We celebrated another good day in Oz with a fine bottle of Devil’s Corner Tasmanian Chardonnay which is a pure cool climate chardonnay displaying intense citrus flavors, attractive mouth filling texture, and a lingering clean finish, one to savor rather than cellar. (That means drink it right away, and we did.)

A few minutes ago I was startled by the sound of something walking on the roof of the camper van. Joe went to check it out and there was an opossum sitting up there as if he owned the world. He had a couple of buddies running around on the ground searching for food. This is a wild and crazy place.







Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th November 2008

Marsupials
Judy, I hate to correct you on anything as I love your writing but.....we don't have opossums in Australia, they are possums. They come in many different varieties and sizes with the most common being the brush tail and the ring tail. When you get to New Zealand you will see many there as well but they were imported and are considered a pest there.
15th November 2008

Possums...sorry, that's the way the word is spelled in the USA. I stand corrected.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb