Wild Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wild Tasmania
November 9, 2008

We were awakened by the intercom (sounded like a bullhorn to me) in our ferry stateroom announcing that it was 6 AM and that we needed to be off the boat by 7:10. We drove the camper into the town of Devonport, Tasmania into blue skies and sunshine and headed toward Cradle Mountain NP. The park is known for its walking tracks and in particular the Overland Track. Hikers come from all over the world to make this six-day trek. Right before we entered the park, the blue skies had changed to gray and it started to drizzle. The shuttle bus driver told us that Cradle Mountain is visible one/fourth of the time and the law of averages worked against us as the mountain was enshrouded with clouds. But we did manage to hike about 4 miles of the Overland Track, just to see what it was all about. The small part we saw was pretty amazing, even through the mist. So much of the flora here is found only in Tasmania, got to appreciate that. A large part of Tasmania that includes Cradle Mountain is a World Heritage Site and the bus driver said there is only one other site in the world (in China) that has more World Heritage “points” whatever that means. It is remarkable how much of Tasmania is wild. We drove and took hikes all day and saw very little in the way of development. Got to appreciate that, too. Blue skies did reappear for our short visit to Lake St. Clair on the south side of the park. We were then able to see the other side of Cradle Mountain but since it doesn’t look like a cradle from this side, I guess it doesn’t really count.

We saw a lot of critters, including our first wombats. Joe thinks they look like little black suitcases, they are so short and rectangular. Couldn’t get a good photo of them, they were quick to hide in the brush.

We are in a caravan park in the center of the state in the highlands in Tarraleah, not really a town but a remnant settlement from the building of the hydroelectric scheme (plant) nearby. 144 houses were torn down and there are just a few left. But, there is a café/pub/gift shop/hotel/reception building that will meet our needs for the short time we’re here. Joe went to this building and brought me back a giant bowl of tomato lentil soup. The cook was closing up for the night and gave Joe all that was left. I can have tomato lentil soup for the next three days if I want.
The bartender said it is possible that we could hear a Tasmanian Devil scream tonight, I hope that happens.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb