Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
October 31st 2007
Published: October 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to "hop" over to Tasmania for a couple days in July of 2006 while visiting Australia. I would highly recommend taking the relatively inexpensive plane flight there if you have the time while on your visit to the Outback. Being not much for cities myself, I must say that Hobart is now one of my favorites. The city itself has much to offer in terms of culture, nature, and entertainment. I absolutely loved the city park that had miles and miles of trails to run on while encountering beautiful multi-colored birds. We did a driving loop tour up the east coast then through the middle of the island to the Cradle Mountain area and then back to Hobart. I think we planned out our limited time very well. I was visiting with a friend/colleague as we were both in Australia for a conference. Freycinet National Park, the Cradle Mountain area, and Hobart are all experiences not to be missed! And, the wallabies and wombats and adorable--sorry, no Tasmanian devil sightings though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Sheep, sheep, and more sheepSheep, sheep, and more sheep
Sheep, sheep, and more sheep

This along the drive east to Freycinet
Kicking backKicking back
Kicking back

John B. trying out some of the local wine on the way to Freycinet
SignSign
Sign

Typical Tasmanian/Australian sign
FreycinetFreycinet
Freycinet

Unfortunately, we arrived late to Freycinet so we didn't get to spend too much time there. This pic was taken just before dark.
Wallaby friendsWallaby friends
Wallaby friends

These guys "found" us as we were leaving Freycinet. We were the only ones left in the park so I guess we looked gullible. These two were ready to get in the car and go with us.
Cradle MountainCradle Mountain
Cradle Mountain

The walk around the lake under Cradle Mountain is very scenic.
WombatWombat
Wombat

We found a spot in the Cradle Mountain area that was supposed to be inhabited by wombats--it was and they weren't that shy as you can see by the proximity of this shot.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb