AROUND TASMANIA IN EIGHT DAYS!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania
February 28th 2007
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DAY 1: LAUNCESTONDAY 1: LAUNCESTONDAY 1: LAUNCESTON

We arrived in Launceston to a drizzly day but still managed to explore the town, discovering some lovely buildings and a beautiful gorge.
En route to Melbourne I met a fellow “mature” traveller from Germany. Both pleased to discover that there are other 30+ yr olds living the Aussie dream we made plans to take a quick trip to Tasmania together. Armed with our hire car (which we TRIED not to take on unsealed roads!) and various maps and brochures we planned our week long trip around the state. We soon discovered that the incredible landscape changes as frequently as the weather. People told me that some aspects of Tasmania would remind me of home. One thing is for sure, I was definitely subjected to a harsh reminder of the good old British climate! The thought of returning to England just as winter begins suddenly became worrying as I realised how intolerant I’ve become to the cold. There was one positive outcome - wearing 6 layers of clothing made my backpack a little lighter! Despite having to endure a couple of chilly days, we had a great time in Tassie. It really was a beautiful, home from home experience and is definitely a place I’d love to revisit one day. Oh yeah - I saw my first wild wombats here too (woohoo!!)

The photos take you through the 8 days so I hope you're not in a hurry!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

DAY 2: NE TASMANIADAY 2: NE TASMANIA
DAY 2: NE TASMANIA

We broke the rules and travelled 40kms+ along a dodgy, unsealed road to explore the NE coast where we had this amazing beach all to ourselves!
NE TASMANIA - Waterfall 1NE TASMANIA - Waterfall 1
NE TASMANIA - Waterfall 1

En route we stopped to stretch our legs and discovered some beautiful forests and waterfalls.
DAY 3: BAY OF FIRES TO FREYCINETDAY 3: BAY OF FIRES TO FREYCINET
DAY 3: BAY OF FIRES TO FREYCINET

For the next leg of the journey we headed south along the coast. The bay of fires offered some spectacular views with huge red rocks and crystal clear water...
Freycinet National ParkFreycinet National Park
Freycinet National Park

We arrived at our destination just as the evening and the weather was drawing in...
DAY 4: FREYCINET NATIONAL PARKDAY 4: FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK
DAY 4: FREYCINET NATIONAL PARK

It was on with the walking gear for a long, hot hike around the national park to reach the famous "Wineglass Bay"
FREYCINET - Hazards BeachFREYCINET - Hazards Beach
FREYCINET - Hazards Beach

Here we decided to do quick change from hiking gear to bikinis for a cool off before the second leg!
FREYCINET - Wineglass BayFREYCINET - Wineglass Bay
FREYCINET - Wineglass Bay

Wow - it was hard work getting to the lookout point!
HobartHobart
Hobart

After a long walk and a long drive we once again reached our destination at sunset...


11th May 2007

I'm Jealous
They look stunning! wish i was there.

Tot: 0.215s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb