Tasman Peninsula- Convicts and devils


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Tasman Peninsula
January 9th 2008
Published: January 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning we tried our hands at sea kayaking. The water was warm and the not too choppy. It was lots of fun and we managed quite well. No falling in the water or turning the boats over. The weather was pefect and the silence out on the bay a welcome change.

We drove south to the Tasman Peninsula, over EAglehawl neck where we saw the famous blow hole and Tasm,an Staying in a wonderful colonial house right on the waterfront not far from Port Arthur. It was so cool. The house was originally a convict probationary house and workshop . Nearby is the Tasmanian Devil conservation facility and we spent an hour here this morning watching the devil's being fed. A cancer is decimating the wild stocks and unless a cure or at least a treatment is found this wonderful animal may well be extinct in the wild within 10 years.

After that we headed to Port Arthur. This huge site is very interesting and well set out. We enjoyed the site very much. It is isolated location but very beautiful.

Now we have arrived in hobart and are back in touch, internet, cell coverage. It feels like we have been in the middle of the jungle for a few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

EaglehawkEaglehawk
Eaglehawk

Blowhole
Eaglehawk neckEaglehawk neck
Eaglehawk neck

Tasman arch
CascadesCascades
Cascades

our cottage
KangeroosKangeroos
Kangeroos

Brian is the tall one


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb