Day 10- Wilderness Railway, Strahan


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Strahan
October 19th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we enjoyed the 'Wilderness Railway' Tour. This Tour starts at Regatta Point, just outside of Strahan. The first part of the Railway, from Queenstown to Teepookana was completed in 1896. The rest of the line, linking Queenstown to Strahan was completed in 1900, when the final link to Regatta Point was completed. The railway was built to enable the Queenstown copper mines to send their copper to Macquarie Harbour for shipping and to allow supplies and equipment to be brought in to the mining town.
The railway runs along the side of the King and Queen Rivers and travels over several bridges. A diesal engine pulls the carriages up the first leg of the journey to the station of ‘Dubbil Barril’. The train makes a stop here for lunch while the Steam Engine is attached. The Steam Engine is used to pull the carriages up the steep incline (1in 20). The train is pulled up using a rack and pinion pulley system. The following descent is still quite steep (1 in 16).
We travelled passed lovely ferns, rivers and rainforest along the way. The average rainfall is extremely high and today we were not disappointed - its raining!! LOL
When we reached Queenstown a tour bus collected us and returned us to our accommodation. It was a very informative and interesting day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



26th October 2010

That looks
very exciting - what a gradient for that steam train to climb!! You must have had some lovely views along the way!!

Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 67; dbt: 0.2167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb