Tas - Strahan


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Strahan
January 21st 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

After very little sleep last night as it was soooo cold, i had 3 tops, 2 pairs of trousers and socks but i was still freezing, we were up early! I went and had a very hot shower to warm up! We decided to go on another walk this morning before leaving.
We left by 10am and walked from the Visitor Centre, down Snake Hill then down to Ronny Creek - an easy walk along the boardwalks - my calf muscles were aching!
We went past a vast area of eerie white dead trees, these had all died over 10 years ago from a drought and the area hasn’t quite recovered. In some parts new trees have grown in between the dead ones, it’s still amazing to see they are still standing after all these years!
As we walked past the Rangers Cottage, just a few meters from Ronny Creek car park, we saw our second snake! It was on the boardwalk, at first we thought it was a lizard popping up to say hi, as there were so many along here, but then the rest of it decided to come an sunbathe in front of us! We couldn’t get past it so we stomped around a little but to scare it off and then rand past! In the shuttle bus on the way back we asked the driver what type of snake it would have been, he said it was a copper head and very venomous snake! It’s mad a s we haven’t seen any dangerous wildlife in the last 2 months then we get to Tas and see loads in just a few days!
We left Cradle Mountain by 11am and drove the Great Western Tiers route to Strahan. It took us about 2 ½ hours and the scenery is fab! You drive through all the old miners towns along the way - really quaint.
We arrived in Strahan, not much to do here, but the weather was nice so we went to find the campsite and enjoy the weather. The trip to the campsite was interesting! It was down a very long, bumpy, white stone graveled road - what we do to save some money ey! The road ended at Macquarie Heads, a small harbor. We gave the on-site caretaker $5 for the night then found a grassy area. It’s a great place to go fishing! We headed back into town, had a yummy ice coffee and juice and walked around Strahan harbor and the shops.
When we got back to the campsite we noticed the hub cap on the car was coming off, Chris removed it to have a look and with that all but 3 of the clips fell to the ground!! What do we do!!! We would be charged by the hire company even though it wasn’t our fault! So a few days later we bought some superglue, glued all the clips back on and then at 5am, like criminals, when we dropped the car off, we just popped it back on! It worked!!!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0664s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb