Tas - Cradle Mountain


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Cradle Mountain
January 20th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got up a little later today as we weren’t doing our own breakfast - well staying by a bakery what do you expect! Yummy croissants and coffee for breakfast! We left by 9am as didn’t want to get to Cradle Mountain too late.
We stayed in the campsite next to the National Park ($30 a night - not too bad ) and the camp kitchen here was lovely, big open wood fires, a real mountain feel to it! Would be lovely in the winter with the snow outside!
Cradle Mountain ( 1545m ) is inland southwest of Tasmania, it’s dominated by it’s glacial mountain landscape and is the Natural Symbol of the state. It’s a popular place with skiers too. We caught a shuttle bus down to Ronny Creak, they run every 10-15mins.
We went from there up to Marions Lookout, 1240m. It took about 1hr30 walking up the mountain, along man-made boardwalks and up a very steep hill near the end. We walked through a forest area with a water fall and then past Crater Lake. The last part of the walk was climbing with your hands up rocks with the help of a metal chain! The views from the top were absolutely breathtaking! We could see Dove lake from the top too. The climb was tough but well worth it! This walk was part of the Overland Track, a walking track through the centre of Tasmania, i think it takes 6 days to walk it.
We then walked down past Wombat Pool, on the Lake Lilla Walk. Then we carried on around Dove Lake. A boardwalk takes you all the way around, through a tropical forest. There are plenty of little areas where you can stop and even swim if you are feeling brave enough!
We walked a total of 4 hours, At least 22kms ! I think Chris was trying to kill me! But at least it was good practice for New Zealand! My legs were shaking by the end of the walk! We got back by 5.15pm, had a shower and had Jacket potatoes with baked beans for dinner - what a yummy meal and made a change from Pasta!!!!
We got chatting to a couple over from Sydney, they had arrived in Devonport and said it was really not worth going there ! Carl was from South Africa and Segra was from Botswana but Indian from birth. They had met and been living in Sydney for 5 years. Really interesting couple!
Whilst we were eating dinner we go to see wild Bennett’s wallaby, and they are not at all shy! And also 2 Eastern Quolls! How exciting!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb