Out through the clouds


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Stanley
March 23rd 2014
Published: March 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

A break in the cloudsA break in the cloudsA break in the clouds

Strahan to Burnie
We often comment on how time flies, and in an odd way the journey from Strahan to Stanley was rather like that. Not time based, but rather we were uncertain if we were flying through cloud with turbulence or driving through road works on an ultra wet and windy day. The showers slowed from time to time and we got the occasional glimpse of what would be a pilot's worst nightmare; rugged craggy mountains just visible through the clouds.

Our intention was to go to Cradle Mountain, but we thought better of that and drove on to Burnie. It was still wet there off and on, and as the afternoon progressed, more on than off. Rather than stay there, we did a weather check (Elders Weather) and saw that Stanley was coming out of the fug earlier than the rest of the north coast.

We once again saw little of the countryside, but were soon at Stanley.

This small port/tourist spot is rather nice. They say that The Nut which dominates the landscape can be seen for 30 kilometres away. We didn't see it until we just about banged into it.

We found ourselves a good spot
The NutThe NutThe Nut

Photo from close to Highfield House
in the free camp right under the cliff face of The Nut.

I was looking at an old 1830s map of the area, and it was known as Round Head. Quite appropriate actually. At the end of the short peninsular is what is known as The Nut. A flat top (Almost) circular rocky structure with sheer sides rising 142 meters above sea level. There is a belief that this is a solidified volcanic lake, and the soft outer materials have warn away leaving this odd structure. Not having studied geology, I cannot confirm or deny this. If you let your mind run wild you could make this a landing site for intergalactic visitors of many years ago.

Just like Mt Everest, because it is there, everyone who sees it wants to climb to the top. Well, most people want to. For the timid and those with creaky joints, there is a chairlift to the top. We chose to climb up the path on the side of The Nut. In the space of 430 meters we climb 142 meters up. No steps, but a good concrete path plus a hand rail. It took us puffing billies about 25 minutes
Rocky CapeRocky CapeRocky Cape

A little east of Stanley
to climb up, but only 8 minutes for the descent.

Once to the top there is a 2k walk around the perimeter with a couple of really good viewing platforms. And just as Elders Weather predicted, it was a beautiful afternoon to enjoy the walk.

In the morning we did a short drive to Highfield House, another saga of convict deprivation as The Van Diemen's Land Company (VDLC) struggled to establish a rural operation. The objective was to have flocks of merino sheep on the land, but they could not survive the wet and cold, so the project was a flop. Later in the area around Stanley forests were cleared and found to be suitable for agriculture and crops.

The managers house, Highfield House was a grand affair compared with the basic barracks for the convicts. The manager was such a powerful man, Governor Arthur was concerned that his authority was being seriously depleted.

The VDLC finally came good through land sales, and the homestead, sheds and barracks fell into disrepair or even ruins. In recent times the homestead has been partially restored and made weather proof, the bluestone piggery and out buildings stabilised, but only very little of the convicts quarters remain. Possibly they were removed when a road was built looking at the remaining walls.

There are quite a few more things to do and places to visit using Stanley as a base, including Arthur River and The Tarkine, Dismal Swamp and more. There is a fur seal colony just around the coast from Stanley. A local operator takes tourists out to this spot where year round viewing is possible.

After a busy day, we tossed up whether to stay another night at Stanley or get towards Devonport to then head up to Cradle Mountain. We are planning to get up to Cradle Tuesday or Wednesday, so we are planning on visiting Mole Creek and a couple of other centres behind Launceston and Sheffield.

What was interesting on the return journey from Stanley to Forth was the realisation that we had been driving along the coast for much of the journey the other day but it had been camouflaged by rain and cloud.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Celery pine deckCelery pine deck
Celery pine deck

There are still craftsmen that know how to build and maintain wooden boats. However, I think this is a dying trade - no apprentices here.
StanleyStanley
Stanley

Town built around one face of The Nut
Highfield HouseHighfield House
Highfield House

Just a few ks out of Stanley
Security ChookSecurity Chook
Security Chook

Rounded us up to make sure we paid the entrance fee
Highfield House 7Highfield House 7
Highfield House 7

Dress up clothes for photos


23rd March 2014
Rocky Cape

Beautiful coast
Stanley is certainly a beautiful area. Did you perchance attempt to buy fish at the co-op? When we were there we were unable to buy any fish at all even though it is a fishing town!!!
24th March 2014
Rocky Cape

Fish Co-op
We had a look but it seemed closed. We had stopped at the little blue stone restaurant across the road to see if they published a menu. Drew a blank there too.
24th March 2014

You do it well
Interesting blog again pity about the weather in places but you have had a pretty good run weather wise. Getting near the end of your Tasmanian adventure.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb