Around Hobart


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 16th 2014
Published: March 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mt Wellington 1Mt Wellington 1Mt Wellington 1

Ascending the mountain
The city of Hobart is Capitol of Tasmania, and an interesting and busy hub on the east coast.

The city is built around a very beautiful harbour and Derwent River valley. However, the dominant physical feature is Mount Wellington right behind the city. The rise from sea level is 1271 mtrs, or around 4150 feet.

How do you get to the top? The choice is to climb, go by scheduled tour bus, drive yourself, or in our case, go up with Anne and Jim in their Troupie. We had talked to a number of people about the road and depending on their attitude to driving up mountain roads that include many twists and turns, we received both positive and negative advice about driving a motorhome up to the summit.

So at 6.30 pm we set off up the mountain to witness the sun set and look down on the city. We were well prepared so we thought for the cooler temperatures we would experience. The drive from Glenorchy probably took around 45 minutes to get to the summit. We stepped out side and realised that Mt Wellington has a climate of its own. Despite three or four layers
Mt Wellington 2Mt Wellington 2Mt Wellington 2

Looking across the Derwent River and its islands
of clothing, beanies etc, the wind and low temperature proved a serious challenge. It was cold!!!!!!!! Apparently that is normal also.

However, the view is magic and well worth the effort. Due to the amount of cloud, the scene was more subdued light wise and this shows in the photos.

The drive down is just as interesting, but because it was now almost dark, the road was shared with black possums, wallabies and other unidentified critters. Fortunately we inflicted no harm on the locals in our descent.

The following morning we were picked up by fellow bloggers Ren and Andrew who live a little outside of Hobart. They had invited us out for breakfast. They had dropped their dogs and kitty off to kennels in preparation for their holiday to Malaysia, flying Malaysian Airlines. The mysterious events of the previous week with the Malaysian Boeing 777 having gone missing was not far from their minds. However, most of the time was spent laughing and chuckling over fun travel times and unusual events.

They dropped us off close to Constitution Dock and from there we went walk about. The city waterfront is intriguing as the old time
Mt Wellington 3Mt Wellington 3Mt Wellington 3

Hitting Rock Top!
waterfront warehouses have found new life as restaurants and specialty shops, galleries etc. There was a photo exhibition on in one of the galleries where the photographer presented nature photos from the Tarkine, part of the north western forestry region. We were impressed with the photos and realised that this experienced photographer struggled with presenting the size and scope of the giants of these old forests.

The gallery is interesting in other aspects as well. The floor shows the wear and tear of many years of service as a warehouse, and has retained that old building appeal. A little courtyard within the building as a 5 or 6 table coffee shop, and other businesses on the ground floor.

We nosed through the Kathmandu shop there as well and were amazed at the variety of cold weather clothing available. I guess in Queensland we do not have the need unless planning a southern ski holiday. Some jackets had heat reflective inner linings.

We walked along the waterfront as well and noted the variety of pleasure craft, Mona Ferries, vintage boats and sailing ships berthed in the city. This is a busy waterfront and must be an exciting place
Mt Wellington 5Mt Wellington 5Mt Wellington 5

The viewing platform, closed for renovations at the moment.
at the end of each Sydney to Hobart yacht race. The Mona Ferries are unusually painted, almost camouflage patterns but colours that stand out rather than hide, that take passengers to the modern art museum known as Mona.

The city does have some beautiful gardens including their Botanical Gardens. Due to inclement weather we didn't get to see as much as we would have liked.

What we did notice is that traffic which would ideally by pass the central city actually crosses the city centre a block back from the waterfront. We crossed Hobart twice in our journeys without realising that we were right in the middle of the city. It was not until walking around that we recognised the streets we had driven earlier.

Some places like Richmond have done huge amounts of work preserving their old convict buildings. In Hobart, structurally the buildings looked sound, but many looked like they could do with a bath to restore their stone features.

For those who love markets, Hobart is heaven. You may have read our blog about Salamanca Markets, held every Saturday. Well, the feast continues with another market every Sunday at the Hobart Show Grounds
Mt Wellinton 6Mt Wellinton 6Mt Wellinton 6

An interplanetary cloud looking to secret us away?
in Glenorchy. This is more of a flea market where traders sell almost anything but cars and boats. Crowds again, but probably locals rather than tourists who love Salamanca. But we had a look anyway because we were camped at the show grounds, and the market was on site about three minutes walk from the motorhome. We did not succumb to market fever.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Mt Wellington 4Mt Wellington 4
Mt Wellington 4

Rocks and clouds
Mt Wellington 8Mt Wellington 8
Mt Wellington 8

Three frozen, shaking photographers at the mountain top. (Thanks Jim for the pic)
Mt Wellington 9Mt Wellington 9
Mt Wellington 9

Jim all aglow after climbing back to shelter at the lookout
Mt Wellington 10Mt Wellington 10
Mt Wellington 10

City lights as we descend
Mt Wellington 11Mt Wellington 11
Mt Wellington 11

The organ pipes the next morning. About 8 ks as a bird flies from The Show Grounds. Shows the power of 50 times zoom.
Breakfast with Ren and AndrewBreakfast with Ren and Andrew
Breakfast with Ren and Andrew

Their second most favourite coffee house. Their most favourite was chocker!
Breakfast MapBreakfast Map
Breakfast Map

Shows where their Tassie food is sourced. That is unique!
Hobart's wasterfront buildingsHobart's wasterfront buildings
Hobart's wasterfront buildings

All old stone warehouses with hardwood floors.
Old stair caseOld stair case
Old stair case

Up to the Tarkine Photo Display.
Coffee nookCoffee nook
Coffee nook

A little alcove between buildings
Every City has oneEvery City has one
Every City has one

If we had more time, we would have used this bus to get orientated.
Tall shipTall ship
Tall ship

Does day tours at weekends
Flea marketFlea market
Flea market

Over 100 fleas!
Mt WellingtonMt Wellington
Mt Wellington

Around dawn
Hobert's morning gloryHobert's morning glory
Hobert's morning glory

Tubular cloud rolls across city


19th March 2014

Another great effort
Some great views from Mt Wellington on a clear sunny day it would be much better. Sure looked cool!! Interesting reading too.
22nd March 2014

Hobart
I thought Hobart, when we went a few years ago , was like our cities 50 years ago ,and I certainly remember Mt.Wellingtons cold,there was a young honeymooning couple ( they were staying at the same place as Kaye and I were) who came in shorts and skimpy tops ,and almost froze poor kids---they didn't stay long!!-------------Jakii

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb