Fffffreeeezing


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Hobart
March 4th 2009
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Abel TasmanAbel TasmanAbel Tasman

Duch Explorer Abel Tasman
DAY 117


The stormy night did not affect us at all, we heard the rain lashing the tent and the wind blowing the awning for quite a while after we went to bed. We awoke when a gust of wind took the awning that had collected some rain and blew the entire puddle out of it and crashed to the ground below.

Awaking now in the serenity of the morning, the sun was shining and we were warm. Getting dressed it was a day for wearing shorts.

We had a fairly leisurely morning doing a few chores, as usual a little housekeeping needs to be done, never any escape from that. We even logged onto the Internet using our new dongle caught up on some email and researched a few things. Then we got to it and went out.

Popping into Bunnings so that we could buy a new light for the tent i.e. one that plugs directly into the mains, which prevents us from having to unplug the fridge each time we want light. The existing light is 12volt and we need to plug it into the mains inverter. We only have the one inverter.

We decided to go back up Mount Wellington, the sky was blue and there was very little cloud hanging over the summit. Andy following my close direction again took us over the Tasman Bridge into Hobart CBD and onto the mountain road. Before long the blue sky seemed to start showering us with rain. We looked up the mountain and the black cloud had descended, you could see the rain coming over with it. Onwards we went with our eyes trained on the huge antenna on the top of the mountain.

Half way up Andy pulled in to a siding and said this is stupid, by the time we get up there the visibility will be zero , and we will just be wasting our time, so he turned the truck around and we went back down. I did not mention this at the time, but I did breathe a huge sigh of relief at not having to drive up that scary mountain road!

Heart rate normal again, we drove to Battery point and Salamanca Square, where the heritage warehouses house the Salamanca Arts Centre and where they hold the weekly market in Salamanca Square, apparently famous
Dutch OriginsDutch OriginsDutch Origins

A tribute to the Dutch Explorer
world wide and I am told that people travel just to come to the Salamanca Market on Saturdays.

These heritage warehouses have all been redeveloped and made in to a really trendy area, with arty farty galleries, swanky offices and coffee houses, places where coffee costs twice as much for half as less.

The weather was in two minds but when we were walking around it was nice and sunny and warm. It gave us opportunity to take some pictures of this vibrant and trendy area.

Following the decline of Spain in the 16th Century and new alliances in Europe, Dutch Maritime and commercial spread rapidly resulting in the considerable charting of waters by the Dutch East India company and Abel Tasmans two ships were typical merchant vessels and equipped for long periods of exploration at sea. Two west coast mountains first sighted by Tasman now bear the names of the two ships, Zeehaen and Heemskerck. A number of coastal areas still bear the original Dutch names.

Coming back to camp early, we did a few more chores had an early tea as we were getting ourselves prepared for departure in the morning to Port Arthur.

The Lady who manages the campsite popped round with my receipt, she said, “if you want a blanket then let me know, it will be a very cold night”. I thanked her and said I would let her know. I was sure that we would be ok; we had purchased extra bedding previously, and had not been as cold as we had been in Glenn Innes, which seems so long ago now.

Speaking to our camp neighbours we find that both their Son and Daughter live and work in Clapham, they are staying here until Saturday.

Retreating to the tent, we did a little bit on the Internet, finishing the blog for yesterday and finally we sat down to rest and had a game of cards.

We had previously researched on the Internet the proper rules for various games as we both felt that we knew only some rules of some games and not enough to have a decent game. We could not play strip poker last night, as it was too cold, Andy was far from keen, so we played Basic Rummy. Now we know the rules we have far more interesting games.

I had in fact beaten Andy, he was the first to exceed a score of 100, however Andy suggested a game of double or quits, unfortunately I lost badly! Never mind there will be revenge.

It was only 9.30; the air around us was very cold, was I going to regret not taking up this kind offer of a blanket? We went to bed early just to keep warm, unfortunately no matter how warm Andy was I could not get warm, I even wore socks and had my clothes draped over the top of me, it was cold.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

I see no shipsI see no ships
I see no ships

Abel Tasmans two ships


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb