Beware Autumn Mosquito’s


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Freycinet
March 8th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 121

Like yesterday the weather today is beautiful, we are up, ready and out by 10.30. I had l had helped Keith the guy over the way connect his Pajero up to his little van, then he towed it away sweet as a nut.

Today we are going to Wine Glass Bay, dropping in to the visitors centre first to get a map of all the walks. Caroline was particularly interested in Wine glass bay as she had had a recommendation from a friend, who has been here that it was a must do. We were unsure of why it was called wine glass bay, but were soon to find out.

The Visitor’s Centre today was busy with people, it is a bank holiday weekend so it seems that all of Tasmania plus lots of European and Australian visitors are here, we think the Bank Holiday is Labour Day, (Something to do with the 8 hour working day). Loads of people were out walking, cycling, canoeing, and such like the car parks were busy.

The lady at the Visitor Centre said January and February were their busiest time for camping and being so manic in those
On the WayOn the WayOn the Way

This is the morning view of Freycinet National Park
2 months they balloted the camping spaces you had to apply before hand then you were allocated space accordingly. Camping in Freycinet National Park was only $16.00 dollars for the camper trailer, but bear in mind we had already purchased the national parks pass before hand which allows us in to any National Park in Tasmania for a period of 2 months.

The notice board at the Visitors Centre said the weather was to be good at 17 Degree’s, sun up at 6.55am and setting at 7.44pm and the UV index was (high) 6, things to be watching out for were Mosquito’s, nothing about 5 ft long Tiger Snakes or anything like that.

Parking in the overflow car park we put our boots on, the Camel Bak was filled with drink and the sandwiches had already been made courtesy of Madam Caroline.

While we got ourselves kitted up 3 Bennett’s Wallabies where hopping around, all 3 slowly made their way over to us and were obviously scrounging for something to eat. Giving these wild animals human processed food can give them lumpy jaw, which they can die of. Eating soft food like bread can infect their mouths,
Coles BayColes BayColes Bay

Stunning views on the way up.
teeth and cause their throats to swell therefore they will not be able to eat anything. So we made do with a pat on the head. They fascinate me with their little hands they are so gorgeous.

We were doing the walk, which would take us 3 hours and would take us up to Wine glass Bay lookout from Parsons Cove. The walk was quite steep and quite demanding, but the final view of the bay was breathtaking. We could see the wineglass shape of the beach clearly from the Lookout.

We had found out that George Meredith, one of the first settlers from Swansea had established a whaling station back in 1824. The sparkling waters and white sands of the surrounding waters soon become polluted with blood and putrid whale blubber, by 1840 shore based whaling was in decline, with Whale stocks being severely reduced due to years of ruthless exploitation. Nowadays at the right time of year you can experience the sight of these beauties during the winter migration.

We had an excellent walk and thoroughly enjoyed the view at the top and thought it was well worth the effort. Caroline even managed to stay
Wineglass BayWineglass BayWineglass Bay

Just beautiful
on both feet for a change.

As we had not yet eaten our sandwiches, when we got back to the truck we decided to go and park somewhere nice to eat them. Somewhere nice? Fancy that, all this amazing scenery surrounds us and we still want to find “Somewhere nice”.

Just along the road, we came to Honeymoon Bay, so we parked, grabbed our lunch and walked down to the beach.

A few families were already pitched on the beach, some people were in the water, we just sat in the sun for an hour enjoying the peace and warmth. We watched a couple of people wading very slowly into the cold water, they looked cold, after about 15 minutes one dived in then immediately stood up closely followed by the other. I thought that once they were in they would swim, but no, they made a hasty retreat back to shore.

Back in the truck we headed off for Cape Tourville light house, it seems you are not allowed to walk up to the light house, but the Parks people had made a circular cliff board walk that was pitched right on the top of
The stemThe stemThe stem

Inlet to Wineglass Bay
the cliff, Caroline hung to the inside hand rail it was a little unnerving but very well done. It was still gorgeous and warm, we had a brilliant day, but now we needed to up load the blog so chose a nice place to sit down and get on with it.

Arriving back at our camp at 5.00pm we did some chores, the floor of the trailer needed mopping and our dripping tap on the water canister needed attention.

The guy camping over the way from us and his wife had been out fishing all day, when they came back, they came over and said that they had caught a load of Squid, Flat Head and Barramundi and would we like to go over and have tea with them as they were just about to throw it all on the Barbie, we had to apologise and explain that Caroline was allergic to fish and seafood so it would not be suitable. We thanked them very much for the offer; it was terrific of them to think of us.

However while they cooked and ate there fresh catch, it was Chilli again tonight heating the leftovers from last
What Goes Up...What Goes Up...What Goes Up...

...must come down
night, which is good as the flavour improves overnight, it was nice and spicy.

We washed up, dried up and put away everything, especially anything remotely edible due to the little hands attached to the Possums, nothing was going to get into temptations way, even the rubbish had to stay in the car overnight.

Finally we sit down for a glass of Spritzer and a couple of games of cards, rummy of course.




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Honeymoon BayHoneymoon Bay
Honeymoon Bay

This is where we had lunch.
Rock FormationRock Formation
Rock Formation

A lot of the terrain was like this.
View from the...View from the...
View from the...

.. lighthouse
BewareBeware
Beware

this information board is very handy.
ScavengingScavenging
Scavenging

If only they knew that it would be fatal for them to eat our food.
Aren't I Pretty?Aren't I Pretty?
Aren't I Pretty?

No its a statement not a question.
Nothing...Nothing...
Nothing...

I am just teasing.
WalkwayWalkway
Walkway

Plenty of shade needed on this sunny and hot day.
Does....Does....
Does....

my bum look big in this view?
I found....I found....
I found....

an apple....


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb