Cloudy Bay, Bruny Island, Tasmania


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Tasmania » Bruny Island
January 10th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

8 - 9 January 2011

Attempt number two: success!

We boarded the car ferry earlier in the morning without any issues. Bruny Island was much bigger than I envisaged and it is actually the same size as Singapore but with a much much smaller population. We camped on the southern side of South Bruny Island (the north and south island are connected by a very narrow peninsula not much wider than the road).

A few people had recommended the Cloudy Bay campground to us so that's where we headed. This campground is only accessible via a decent drive along a beach to a fairly well hidden track leading up into the bush which pops you out to a great little camp spot. With very few people already camping we managed a good spot close to the beach with lots of trees and shade. During setup a couple of people walked past which we didn't take any notice of as we were in our "setup zone". Seconds later I hear "Belle? Belle?" and it was Fleur and Dale. We both used to work with Fleur at Harry's in Sydney. It was such a surprise to see them and they ended up getting their troopy and camping beside us for a couple of nights. Was great to catch up on the last few years!

We checked out Cape Bruny and the lighthouse and had the famous Bruny pies - pretty expensive but well worth it!! Went swimming (or should I say had a bath in the ocean?), fishing and tested out our new hammocks (thanks to Em & Benny for those!) - bliss....

There was an Italian family of five camping near us with a 3 year old girl (she had 2 older brothers). She was flying around on a bike without training wheels which was really good for Reef as he had a newfound confidence and got lots of riding in. He has grown up so much in the last few weeks, we've both really noticed a change in him. Oscar has changed a lot too. He is still a very busy little person but he listens to us more now and has chilled out more in the car. The driving used to be a nightmare with him but it's much better now.

We were running late to catch the ferry back to Kettering so we did the mad dash via the Bruny Cheese Factory where Em had told us exactly what to purchase. Pity I cooked it completely wrong!

There was still more that we wanted to see on Bruny so that will have to be added to the return list. A great couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb