Plains, Trams and Autobahns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia
July 12th 2014
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hahdorf - Adeleaide - Hahndorf 75km


The Family at HahndorfThe Family at HahndorfThe Family at Hahndorf

It took some convincing for our youngest son to be the 'girl'

Desert Ship Territory Log Day 9.



A bit slow to get going this morning as we seem to be getting more and more tired. We didn't start our washing till 9am and of course we couldn't stray too far while that was happening. We took the opportunity to wander down the street in Hahndorf. I felt like I was back in Europe in winter. There were deciduous trees everywhere without a leaf in sight and of course with weather to match. Autumn would look incredible here. It won't reach over 8 degrees celcius today, there are German style buildings everywhere and the only thing that is missing is snow. We treated ourselves to some Apple Strudle and coffee and was quite possibly the best I have ever tasted. Hahndorf is very touristy and very busy (with the main street as frenetic as an autobahn) but definitely worth stopping at. It was just before 1pm before we finished all our washing and drying. I discovered that there was a regular bus service into Adelaide so we decided to take the bus in and then get to tram to Glenelg as there'd be no time tommorrow as well as give us the day off from driving. It only took an hour to get to Rundall Mall in the city centre. I was astounded at the proliferation of little towns in the hills and they all have gorgeous old stone hotels and old stone homes. The Aldgate Pump Hotel and the Bridgewater Inn looked great and I wanted to pop in and grab a port. It's so damn cold. In central Adelaide we went to a book store and had to go into Kmart for a few things. We then walked to King William Street to catch the tram to Glenelg which took about half an hour. The kids had never been on a tram so I thought that would be a good experience for them. I was blown away about how nice Glenelg was. I guess I was expecting something like Scarborough Beach. Luckily the rain had cleared a bit so we could walk around without getting wet. The kids were hungry so we went to Maccas for coffee for us and fries for them. Surprisingly the pidgeons had made themselves at home inside McDonalds and the health inspector was no where to be seen. We left at about 5.00pm and got back at Hahndorf by 6.30pm. It feels like we have been on holidays for months with the amount of things we have packed in and finally I am starting to feel quite fatigued.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb