Bye Bye Outback


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Hahndorf
July 11th 2014
Published: July 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wilpena Pound - Hahndorf 465km


Desert Ship Territory Log Day 8.




We unintentionally slept in till 8am today and were on the road again at 9.30am. The day was over cast and drizzling so a nice picture of Rawnsley Peak at sunrise was out of the question. There was a lovely ruin at the station so I took some pictures of that. As it turned there were ruins about every 500m the whole way to Claire. SA should be called the state of ruin. The landscape was mostly picturesque with gentle undulating hills reminding me of the Telly Tubby habitat, especially with all the wind turbines we saw along the way. We stopped at the Peterborough Steam Heritage Railway Centre which was really interesting but sucked a valuable 3 hours of time. It would still take about 4 hours to get to Hahndorf and I wanted to see the Barossa Valley on the way. At 3.30pm we left Peterborough and was dark by the time we would have got to the Barossa, so we ended bypassing it. We passed some lovely historic towns along the way, with all of them looking a bit like our York. I just loved how history is in your face everywhere here with classic aussie architecture on shop fronts, old houses and homesteads. The town of Burra made a particular impression and warranted a wander and I was desperate to stop and take pictures of all of this along the way but we simply had no time. We arrived at Hahndorf at 7.15pm. By this stage we are all starting to get a bit smelly but discovered the laundry closed at 7pm, so it will have to wait and we'll go in commando style tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb