Yorke Peninsula and Innes National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Yorke Peninsula
January 5th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Trailer all repacked, restocked and washing nice and clean again we set off for the Yorke Peninsula. We had searched on the internet to find some good snorkelling spots and decided we would look at the campsites as we went to decide which one to stay at. The National Park has several campsites which are all bush sites.

We eventually decided on Shell Beach as it was right on a lovely beach, it was one of the spots we thought we could snorkel at, there was a campsite we could fit on and the toilets - although the standard pit toilet - was at least new and very clean.

After setting up camp we walked to the beach where Dave tried out the water first, of course it was very cold so we didn’t swim but spent some time on the beach watching someone fish and were lucky enough to see some dolphins playing in the waves quite close in.

The site had lovely birdlife with lots of Galas and we spent some time watching them. We also got close to some kangaroos that came into the site.

The next day Kerry and I - in our wetsuits - tried snorkelling at Shell Beach. There was lots of seaweed but we didn’t see any fish. One of the spots we had been pointed out was too rough so didn’t try there. They were very short tides and it may have been that we were there at the wrong time of the month.

We looked at one or two other spots but decided not to try and instead just enjoyed being at the beach, we walked along some of the rocks and found a swimming hole. I guess you just need to know where to go.

Because there hadn’t been any rain in the park for a long time the sand was incredibly dirty. Our feet turned almost black just through walking on it and we had to wash feet before going to bed.

Our shower tent was in good use again although because of the shortage of water we mostly resorted to washing in there and not using the shower as that took too much water. There is not water at all available anywhere in the park so you have to take it all. And believe me, it doesn’t go very far when 4 of you are cooking, washing and drinking it. We just managed to make it last.

When we arrived home the shower felt really good and it will take quite a few soaks to get our feet even moderately clean!




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb