Whyalla to Venus Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Whyalla
April 28th 2013
Published: April 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After five days staying with our friends in Whyalla, we turn left at the fork in the road and head towards Iron Knob. The red dust of this town is left behind as we pass a giant iron ore train rumbling alongside the road. The terrain is as flat as a pancake with low salt bush, and scatterings of trees on the sides of the roads. As we approach Iron Knob some 50ks later, still going in a straight line, you can see the top of the mountain has been sliced cleanly off. This is BHP territory, in the Second World War this ore was shipped to Britain to make military weapons. We went to the Anzac Day service in Whyalla on Thursday, which was very nice, and I silently thank our soldiers again for their sacrifice. Iron Knob, a red dusty town with a scattering of houses; some ramshackle shanties have satellite dishes in their front yards.

Further on, still going in a straight line, we reach a little place called Kyancutta We turn left down an unsealed road, and the white dust billows out like a giant mushroom behind us, I try not to think about whats going on behind in the caravan.

When we reach the town of Elliston, and I have a bit of a look in there, I shut the door real quick. As one old guy tells us when we reach our destination, "A bit of dirt never hurt noone"! The road is good, we only meet one other vehicle on the 55ks or so trip. Looks like a hard life out here, I’ve never seen so many paddocks with so many rocks in them! There are rock fences that some poor farmer in a past life, must have had the back breaking job of constructing. The fences go on and on for miles. Black faced sheep wander the stony rocky ground, and one would wonder at what these sheep actually eat.

We come to the town of Elliston where a game of Aussie Rules is being played, it’s a nice little seaside town, but we decide to go on to Venus Bay and see what it’s like there. We met a couple back up the road and they say it’s a lovely place. We also heard on the grapevine, to go to a little house on the side of the road where they make there own bread in a wood fired oven. There are two loaves left! Fresh bread, it will be nice with our meal tonight.

As we drive down to the caravan park at Venus Bay I can see how lovely this little Bay is. Only 56 people live here, but there are about 60 or more vans in this park. The sun was setting as we found our site, black swans glide over the water in front of us, and we sit back and think how lucky we are.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



28th April 2013

Great Pics
Thanks for the info, we don't remember going to Venus Bay, sounds like a lovely little spot though. Bet the bread was tasty. What a lovely sunset behind the van.
29th April 2013

Hello Roger and Donna
Thanks for the comments, makes it feel a bit like you are with us. Just a teeny bit. Love Maree

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb