Streaky Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Streaky Bay
November 3rd 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Streaky Bay Streaky Bay Streaky Bay

Our Caravan Park -The "Trakkie" is almost in the middle of the pic. Nissan to the right, red jerry can on the back, and a chair between the two trees to the left of van
This Blog entry covers our stay in Streaky Bay from the 3rd Nov until leaving on the morning of the 8th.

I had been looking forward to Streaky Bay for quite some time having heard many great stories about the town ....and we have not been let down !.

Nestled on the coastline the picturesque town of Streaky Bay derived its name because of the streaks in the water across the bay caused by the reflection of light and seaweed. In 1839 Edward John Eyre made camp about 3 klms from Streaky bay where he found a permanent waterhole know as "Cooeyanna" and today this can still be seen and is now known as Eyre's Waterhole. Streaky Bay is the major service centre for the surrounding rural district. Sitting here typing watching the sun go down I can see over the bay the Viterra Grain silos prominent on the skyline. Grain crops such as wheat and barley are supported by beef, sheep, pigs and poultry farming. The town is , as you would expect, also a main service centre for an Aquaculture industry.

Streaky Bay offers excellent facilities in shopping, and essential services such as a well equipped
Streaky BayStreaky BayStreaky Bay

along the beach in front of the Caravan park, looking towards town
modern hospital with resident Doctors. Boasting several cafes, one very good one, a pizzeria and a Bakery you can sample the flavours of both land and sea. Streaky Bay and districts offers scenic drives of the Great Australian Bight, most of which we visited on our way to here, such as Point Labbat. However we did do the Cape Bauer Loop Coastal Scenic Drive. The scenery and views along this section of the coast is both rugged and spectacular. Our first stop was Hallys Beach where surf fishing is popular and we were again amazed at the colour of the water. Whistling Rocks and the Blowholes, our next stop, was a bit of a let down as the sea was incredibly calm so not a lot of action was happening.

Our stay here was dominated by enjoying the town and its facilities but most importantly the beach at the door to the "Trakkie" which Jackie made the most of chasing her ball and playing in the water.

Streaky Bay is 720 Klms from Adelaide and basically a big one day drive for most holiday makers, and a relatively easy drive, so it is a very popular holiday destination
Streaky BayStreaky BayStreaky Bay

Our site
in summer. Interestingly the EP boasts 80% of Sth Australia's coastline which explains why we have been on it travelling for so long and we can also say that it is a 'bloody awesome' coastline to boot.

This postcode (Neil) is definitely in the book.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

The water was fantastic and warm, Trish and Jackie enjoying the very hot day in style
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Town and Streaky Bay Wharf in background
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Jackie swimming
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Chasing the ball in the water
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

She just loved it.....
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

The Pub..one of
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Streaky Bay wharf, You can see caged swimming pool to front of fishing boat and the first building to left of the wharf is the best coffee !!!
Streaky Bay Streaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Main street shopping precinct.


6th November 2011

streaky bay
hi mike + Trish this looks great spot to stay and jackie loves the water I am enjoyiny your blog keep up the good work judy +peter
6th November 2011

Jackie swimming!
That photo of her bouncing through the water is brilliant! She is such a water dog! So glad you guys got to stay here for a few days and recharge and unwind and just have a great time. It really does look amazing, loving the photos and all the fun facts!!
1st January 2012

love the 'beach babes!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb