Baird Bay to Streaky Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Eyre Peninsula
November 3rd 2011
Published: November 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Point LabattPoint LabattPoint Labatt

Australian Fur Seals
From Baird Bay we took the inland dirt roads via Point Labatt and Sceale Bay to our destination of Streaky Bay.

Point Labatt Conservation Park is located on the Calca Peninsular on the Great Australian Bight. It lies along a spectacular stretch of SA west coast where rugged limestone cliffs show the constant attack of the Sthn Ocean. Rounded granite boulders form off shore reefs that protect a small headland where rock pools and a shady beach provide an ideal home and environment for some very special Australians - Australian Sea Lions. There is only one species of seal that lives in Australia and there are only a few places in Australia where these seals live and breed. Point Labatt is the only place on the mainland where seal pups can be seen to play, growing up, learning to swim and play, and learning to avoid hunters. All other colonies are found on the off shore islands, protected from land predators. Australian Sea Lions are one of the worlds' rarest seals and one of Australia's most endangered marine mammals.

A cliff top viewing area about 50 mtrs above the colony provided a fantastic view f the Sea Lions and
point Labattpoint Labattpoint Labatt

Australian Fur Seals
Trish and I spent a good hour watching the seals in awe.

next we came to Sceale (pronounced Scale) Bay, another fishing and holiday destination with a permanent population of 40 but more importantly is made up of about 100 plus homes..all holiday places and some quite new and big.

Then on we travelled up the dirt and corrugated road to arrive at Streaky Bay mid afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Point LabattPoint Labatt
Point Labatt

Australian Fur Seals
Point LabattPoint Labatt
Point Labatt

Australian Fur Seals
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

Our Campsite ...not too bad !!!
Streaky BayStreaky Bay
Streaky Bay

The view from my chair under the Trakkie's awning, Neil was just coming back from a walk on the beach
Streaky bayStreaky bay
Streaky bay

view along front of caravan park towards Streaky Bay township from the front of our site
Streaky Bay Streaky Bay
Streaky Bay

BBQ'd King George Whiting for tea. Our last fillets , I will have to catch some more !


6th November 2011

Where did Santa Claus come from?
Nice beard Dad! This campsite has to be one of the best I've ever seen, right on the edge of that amazing beach and it would have been great over the last few days with some warm weather camping under the shade and next to the beach! Through in the King George Whiting and some drinks and you've pretty much got it made! It looks as though Neil the Duck has enjoyed himself too! Still can't believe the duck made the packing list...haha!
7th November 2011

Santa
He arrived after free camping for a few days ...not sure if he will see Xmas as yet. Neil the Duck was an important inclusion to guard the Trakkie when we are away from it, as he did at the front door at Kyneton for over a year !Neil has only recently requested that he also get some 'air time" (photos!) in the Blog.
1st January 2012

wow!!!
having time now to read youblogs. not sure about the beard Mike, I guess we would get used to it. What about you trish, bit scratchy. Once agian great reporting. We love the fact that you are seeing as much as you possibly can whilst driving and enjoying all that is to offer. Who is neil that you referred to? wondeful photos.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb