Hong Kong to Mt. Gambier (Mum's update no.2)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Mt Gambier
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hong Kong could really teach us a thing or two about air travel.(take note terminal 5)
Wow do they have it sorted.
Everything seemed to flow like a dream. We got the courtesy bus from the hotel and we were delivered to Kowloon where we checked in our luggage and proceeded to the airport via the 'Airport Express'.
Before we knew it we were settling into our seats aboard the plane. Dont know what sort, sorry. (It had wings and wheels and seemed to fly OK.)
Managed to get a bit of sleep and fitted in a couple of films before we landed at Sydney.
First impressions? How laid back and friendly everyone is. They are so warm, helpful and friendly and seem totally unruffled by anything.
Even stressed British tourists who are worried about missing their flight to Melbourne because of the haphazard queues and lack of signage for the domestic transfers.
'No worries' just lift the barriers and move to the from of the queue.
Having dumped our bags and been loaded onto a bus, we were once again airbourne to our next stop, Melbourne.
Dad and Ann were waiting for us in the arrivals hall and Richards hideous pink case was one of the first to tumble onto the coveyor belt.
Looking good...........
40 mins later.............no sign of Mike's or my case yet. We watch 5 other bags circle for another 15 minutes and decide to move to the 'Lost Baggage' Counter.
Lets face it I should have guessed that baggage handling was a bit of an issue here by the mere fact that they occupied such a significant position within the airport.
The chap there was very helpful, completly relaxed and confident that the bags would 'turn up' either on the next flight or maybe the one after that. Anyhow if they didn't we could go on ahead and they would send them on to us when they turned up.
To compensate me for the worry he gave me vouchers to purchase food and drink in the airport while we were waitng for the next flight to arrive.
The next flight arrived and Hooray, Mike's case was on it. Still no sign of mine though.
Dad was getting anxious at this stage. We had a 7 hour drive to Mt Gambier ahead and he doesn't enjoy driving in the dark.
OK lets file a report..........
The nice man at the desk apologises again and fills in the necessary paperwork. I get handed two cloth sacks (Quantas overnight bags) and told that the next flight is due in 10 mins time.
We wait for a further 10 mins and disaster strikes again. The belt jams and suitcases start to pile at the exit point. Alarms sound, technicians appear and at last my case falls onto the conveyor belt.

We are now on our way to Mt Gambier....

The Journey was interesting, I was quite suprised at how flat the landscape around here is. We saw our fist Kangaroos and after a couple of hours on the road Dad decided that we should stop for food. Easier said than done.
The first town we reached was Sydenham. We stopped at this bar/restaurant only to be told that "it was Sunday'. As if we didn't know. Apparently the chef has a day off on Sunday. Oh well, there is always the next town.

Lake Boloc. Yep, another one horse town and not an open restaurant/bar/cafe in sight.

Dad, ready to eat a scabby monkey is getting desparate now and his driving begins to get erratic.
We are eventually saved by the town of Hamillton, 60 kms on.

A big town but it only has one restaurant open. We are all ready to eat scabby monkeys now, so anticipating that having the monopoly in the town the grub will be pretty average we make our way to a table.
Wow we were in for a treat. The food and the service was fantastic! Mike and Dad had the seafood platter and it was HUGE!
We could all have shared one really.

We got to Dad's at about 10pm and unpacked before falling into bed at around midnight.

DAY 1 ( Mt Gambier).
Felt great after a good nights sleep and was the first up this morning.
Decided to get to know the area a bit. Sun was shining so I donned the trainers and went for a run.
The area was not as flat as I thought! Got a bit confused about how far I had run and taken short, I dogged into The Tafe (University of South Australia Campus) to use their bathroom. It was only when I had left the building and run past the traffic island at the end of the road that I realised that the Tafe was in fact opposite my Dad's house. I had run straight past it on the opposite side of the road.
Oh well I have got my bearings now.

After I was washed, dressed and breakfasted we all went off to 'Valley Lake and Country Park' for the day. Wow! it was fantastic! I will get Richard to upload the photo's.
Karen my step sister called in after wok with her husband Mark and son Todd. We had a great eveing at home wining and dining on Dad's meatballs and spaghetti.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb