Exploring the Yorke Peninsula.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Moonta Bay
May 3rd 2010
Published: May 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi everyone from Moonta Bay
We are enjoying our time on the Yorke Peninsula.
From Maitland, we headed south, down to the "toe" of the Peninsula, to Stenhouse Bay in the Innes National Park, where we stayed for 5 nights in a bush camp. From there we did day trips to explore that end of the Peninsula. Unfortunately, most of the time there was overcast and cooler, with showers at night. There are lots of lighthouses for Chris to tick off in this area. The coast is very rugged, with reefs, rocks and islands and lots of wrecks. We did lots of walks too, to lookouts and also through the historical town ruins of Inneston. This area, Stenhouse Bay, Innestown and Marion Lake was once Australia's primary source of gypsum for plaster and cement. A ship used to leave Stenhouse Bay jetty each month with plaster and cement for NZ.
From there , we drove over to Edithburgh at the "heel" or S.E. corner, and spent 2 nights there, exploring that area. Again , more lighthouses, and jettys,this area also has a huge grain storage and loading wharf at Port Giles. The weather improved, but it was windy. We saw why the Wattle Point Wind farm is sited nearby! Again we saw lots of people on the jetty trying to catch fish - there is even a fisherman's jetty near the caravan park! As with lots of their coastal towns there is a very good new ramp facility and several fish cleaning stations. But , the only fish we have seen caught are very small, Tommys and whiting, and squid.
Today we drove north up the east coast, calling in at ports and points and beaches on the way. We picked up some fresh oysters ($7 a dozen) and fish, which we enjoyed for dinner tonight, from Stansbury. From Ardrossan we headed northwest, to the Copper Coast, where we got a beachside site at Moonta Bay,(now with winter rates it's quite cheap too!) at the "knee" of the Yorke Peninsula. We walked on the jetty here and at nearby Port Hughes and saw some squid and more very small Tommys being caught. The sunset was great, and it's not so windy and cool here, on this side of the Peninsula. We plan to spend a few days exploring this area now, before heading further north again, to complete the Yorke Peninsula.
We've made contact with Karen and Ian Berrington, and will meet up with them in Adelaide next Sunday. (I used to play golf with Karen)
Good to hear from others this week too, especially Zena and Snow.
Look forward to seeing some of you soon
Cheers
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Little Emu BeachLittle Emu Beach
Little Emu Beach

our campsite was nearby this beach
Corny Pt LighthouseCorny Pt Lighthouse
Corny Pt Lighthouse

n.w. end of "toe"
Daly HeadDaly Head
Daly Head

very popular with surfers
Inneston Historic VillageInneston Historic Village
Inneston Historic Village

ruins of the plaster factory
Marion Bay boatMarion Bay boat
Marion Bay boat

took up whole road!
Foul BayFoul Bay
Foul Bay

South coast - lots of weed on these beaches
Port Giles grain storagePort Giles grain storage
Port Giles grain storage

permanent storage 239,000 tons bunker storage 153,700 tons
fireban lifted on May 1stfireban lifted on May 1st
fireban lifted on May 1st

lots of paddocks being set alight, burning off the stubble of the grain


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb