Meningie – Tranquillity on Lake Albert


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Meningie
March 10th 2015
Published: March 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Seems Greg is the master of planning when it comes to arriving conveniently in time for lunch. Today was no exception. Bremerton Wines is an old favourite of ours in Langhorne Creek so it was no surprise we arrived here just in time for a tasting followed by home- made pizzas. Yum!



Armed with our purchases we headed towards Meningie for 2 nights at the Lake Albert Caravan Park. With a lake side site set among gums it was easy to sit and gaze at the glassy surface of the lake, watching the pelicans sitting in a line on a pipe leading its way out to the shallows. Well actually the lake could never really be described as deep.



There was a greater risk of being blown out into the middle of the lake when kayaking than getting your knees wet standing in the water even a reasonable distance out. Kayaking along the shores was easy going and quite relaxing. As Greg kayaked close to the reeds he watched a team of pelicans herding fish then dipping their beaks in a synchronised manner. Each time at least one pelican seemed to come up with a fish in its beak.



We explored a very extensive country hardware store. It had almost everything imaginable in it from camping supplies, to electrical equipment, painting supplies, garden ornaments, to bread flour, crockery, indoor and outdoor ornaments and much, much more. The front facade gave little indication of the size of the store and the breadth of available products although the range of choice within this was limited.



We were tempted by the Cheese Factory Restaurant offering a menu of local produce. Coorong Mullet, chips, salad and an NZ sav blanc all downed with a stunning view of the lake was not hard to take.



Being MKR tragics, we were disappointed Channel 7 was nowhere to be found on our TV. Guess we will survive …. this really is a small sacrifice for the wonderful times we are having.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb