Ozone


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
March 29th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DAY 142

We woke up fortunately where we went to bed last night at American River Camp site
(Camps 5 Ref 416 page 278) the fee was supposed to be $15.00 bucks yea right. We would have been happy to contribute our dosh if they would have provided the services for our money such as a hot shower and a flushing toilet, or even water out of the tap would have been nice, but no that was obviously to much to ask so we didn’t let them keep our monies.

The site itself was nothing special; just on the edge of the river but at least you could see the Pelicans and Black Swans this morning. I reminisce of the time that we were in a campsite opposite a river in MacLean, we wandered by chance over to the river for a quick walk one morning (2 years ago) only to find hordes of Pelicans waiting for the fishermen to return with their spoils and tip them into the water when a feeding frenzy would occur, to see these pelicans devour fish bones was amazing.

Anyway, we went without a shower but boiled some water to at least
StatueStatueStatue

This metal Pelican was at the entrance to American River
have a wash, the day again was really hot and at least the few trees provided some sunshade. We packed everything away, and drove out of this crappy site as soon as it was practical to do so.

We wanted to have some breakfast so decided to pull in to a Sports and Social club, so we could sit on their benches and have something to eat. We had a tub of vanilla yoghurt in the fridge and a tub of “Brekky Fruit”. It was lovely and refreshing to eat on this lovely hot morning.

We headed out of American River towards Flower Cask Bay where we knew there was a caravan park, we needed to find a powered site for our last night on Kangaroo Island, just so we could charge everything up and have a shower ready to smell nice when we got on the boat.

I was daydreaming as we were going along focussed on the short journey ahead of us, and as another 4x4 passed us the driver put his finger up, (again Cliff - your secret is safe with us), I said to Caroline that was Cliff and Sue, and in my
American RiverAmerican RiverAmerican River

Early morning view.
rear view mirror saw the Silver 4x4 turn around, we pulled over in to the kitty litter and watched them drive towards us.

They told us they had spent last night at Browns Beach and there was virtually nothing there, we said that we were heading to Flower Cask Bay Sanctuary to have a look at the caravan site there. Cliff and Sue had to be a Kingscote tonight as they were having their Toyota Prado serviced on Monday morning, which was just up the street from the campsite. We said we would go back to Kingscote if Flour Cask Bay was no good.

We were heading to the Flower Cask Bay Sanctuary, which was advertised as an Eco Camp site, when we pulled in it looked sort of wired, but we drove up to the reception and were greeted by a bearded chap who introduced himself as Mark. We asked how much the sites were and he said 20 bucks, “can we have a powered site?” “We don’t have any, but I could charge your equipment for you”, “do you have showers?” “No, Toilets, Chemical”, “Camp Kitchen?” “No, but we do have a beautiful view of the
Pelican CrossingPelican CrossingPelican Crossing

American River
Ocean. Right there.”

He went on to tell us how long they had had the properties and they had done all the business proposals and were just in the process of raising some capital. They certainly needed to) we said it was not quite what we wanted and buggered off. That said, the place is nice, it is remote and you can be guaranteed some privacy if that is what you want, but sadly for us it did not quite fit the bill, not today anyway. I am sure that once he has investors and gets things moving it will be a place worth coming back to.

As we were in the vicinity we carried on down the track to the beach, we walked over the sand dunes to reveal another beautiful beach on the very rugged South Coast, as beautiful as it is the wind was as strong as the waves and not really the place that you would want to sit for a relaxing couple of hours, not like the beaches on the North Coast.

We then moved on to Prospect Hill parked the truck and faced the challenge of the wooden staircase to the top of Prospect Hill, and the view was just amazing. The terrain was mainly sand and bush. The National Parks have signs out showing the footprints of the animals that you are likely to see in the area. We look but can only see human footprints.

Back on the road, now definitely heading towards Kingscote, the temperature is starting to soar, we arrive at about 3.00pm pay and set the trailer up, we hope the weather holds hot so when we again pack up in the morning everything will be dry. All the flaps have been opened in the trailer as our little thermometer is reading 40 Degree’s C, we sit outside in the shade and type the Blog, “Look No Hands” them upload it, do our washing, and shower ourselves.

This campsite had not really been recommended, a couple of people that we have met on our travels told us what the site was like. When it is wet the ground is just mud and you can see why. We are about an inch deep in brown sand/earth, which gets kicked up in the wind, very quickly everything is covered in dust and one thing of all
Flower Cask BayFlower Cask BayFlower Cask Bay

The beach at Flower Cask Bay
your feet get dirty as soon as you wash them.

Sue and Cliff had pulled in a couple of hours a go and decided not to pitch their tent just in case it rained in the night, they did not want to worry about getting up early to pack up a wet tent as their Toyota has to be in the garage early, but to have a cabin. When I got back from my shower Sue was talking to Caroline and suggested they were going out for dinner tonight and would we like to join them.

Brilliant, put decent-ish clothes on, and have a treat we didn’t have to be asked twice, we have not treated ourselves to a decent meal out in a while.

We met at the our truck at 6.30 and all went off in to town, the Restaurant we were going to was called Ozone, and it was great the food was just brilliant, I had lamb, Caroline had Steak and Clive and Sue shared a Seafood platter. Drinks flowed and we all got louder and louder, laughing and having a great time, swapping stories again.

We decided to have a pudding and went for the Lemon Meringue, when they arrived they were huge, we would have been better off having one slice to share between 3 of us, we left loads on our plate which was a waste really.

I would recommend the Ozone Hotel for a meal, the staff were lovely and friendly, the meal was great and the atmosphere was quite vibrant.

Leaving the hotel just after 10, the wind was blowing in off the sea, it was cold and the sea was quite rough, we were looking forward to getting into bed,
We finally left the restaurant at about 11.00pm the wind was blowing in off the sea, it was cold wind and the sea was quite rough, we drove home then just fell in to bed.

Animal Score to Date in the wild.

Wombat 42+1 baby
Tassie Devil 3
Eastern Quoll 2
Eastern Grey Kangaroo’s Lost Count
Tammar Wallaby 4
Western Grey Kangaroos 0
Wallabies Lost count.
Pademelons Lost Count
Echidna’s 6
Seals;To many to Count
Sea Lions To many to count
Platypus 1
Possums Lost Count.
Fairy Penguins 6
Koala 18
Wedged Tailed Eagles 6
Eastern Brown Snake 1
White Lipped Snake 1
Legless Lizard 1
Dingo 1 (we actually saw this at Rainbow Beach when we had just left the ferry after getting back from Fraser Island on blog date 8th December, we cannot believe that we did not add it into the blog)



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Beach WalkBeach Walk
Beach Walk

This pretty walk eneded at a beautiful beach
Prospect PointProspect Point
Prospect Point

We live Here
Kangaroo IslandKangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island

The view of Kangaroo Island
CarolineCaroline
Caroline

Caroline at the top at Prospect point
View fromView from
View from

Prospect Hill towards Penneshaw
View toward American RiverView toward American River
View toward American River

from Prospect Hill
Sue and CliffSue and Cliff
Sue and Cliff

Having a meal at the Ozone Restaurant
Lemon Meringue PieLemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie

Sue the greedy cow ate a whole piece of this it was enough to make you throw, it was way to much


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb