Fush


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Kangaroo Island
March 27th 2009
Published: March 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cathy & SueCathy & SueCathy & Sue

Cathy and Sue, 2 mad girls on our camp site
DAY 140

Jesus it was a cold night, but as the day had been so hot it was a worthy trade off, we slept soundly in our beds, whilst the wildlife went about its business in its own sweet way.

We can't believe we have been away 20 weeks today and it has gone in a blink of an eye.

A lady told me that two Possums were fighting last night, and one of them fell out of the tree with a hell of a thump. We found loads of fur just by the trailer this morning but it all must have happened before we went to bed as we never heard a thing and everyone was tucked away in their caravans before we went to bed.

I must just say one funny thing about caravan sites, very often you can lie in bed and listen in the stillness of the night hoping to hear the wildlife, however all you can hear is the distant snores from another tent or caravan.

Dennis had moved and I couldn’t find him this morning, but the other one was fast asleep over the way, in its tree.

We
Sun shadeSun shadeSun shade

Lunch under the Sun shade
were leaving Western K I Campground this morning, I really liked it here, although Caroline took a little time to enjoy it here, despite having the great wildlife around. We really couldn’t believe our luck to have a Koala who hung out in a tree just by our camper trailer.

I was up early this morning as we talked so much last night the blog didn’t get finished, so at just after 7.00am I was tippy tapping away trying to finish off what Caroline had started.

We met in the camp kitchen for our obligatory tea and toast, then at 9.00 am we started to pack up the trailer tent, the awning sheets had been dried in the sun yesterday and they were just folded and put away in to the appropriate bag which will make our lives easier.

The last thing I do once the trailer is all packed away is have a shower, on the basis that if we are free camping we are not sure when the next shower may be. Though we have purchased a canvas bag that you put water in and during the day it can be warmed easily by the sun, it is suggested that if you can leave it on the top of your car, it absorbs the heat from the metal too. The portable shower has a watering can rose and tap at the bottom and you just hang it up and have a shower.

We were all packed away and ready to rock but we still had a bit of the blog to finish, so we parked the truck by reception and sat in the camp kitchen made a cup of tea and uploaded our photo’s. We also Skyped Sealink to arrange our passage back to the mainland, she asked what day we came over but neither of us could remember, still they found our booking in the end and we leave K I at 1.30 on Monday afternoon and will start making our way up to Adelaide where we hope to stay for a few days then head into the Barossa Valley.

Finally we leave the camp at 12.00pm Midday, and we were heading towards Western River Cove Camp Ground. Strangely enough this site is not listed in camps 5 for some reason but it is stunning. We intend to contact the camps 5 people and ask them why it is not in as it should be. It is not accessible for Caravans because of the rough and steep road.

Heading down the West End highway we saw a Tiger Snake, but unfortunately it was dead on the road and very flat, so we did not bother to stop. Arriving at 2.00pm we set the trailer up next to Cliff and Sue who we had met at Western K I caravan Park and as it was lunch time Caroline and myself made some sandwiches and sat in the shade looking out over the beach.

It was such a beautiful and hot day we grabbed our towels and our bathers and walked the short walk down to the beach. Wandering over the bridge and following the path round the river to the end and we found, Cliff fishing and Sue sitting enjoying the sun, we set our towels up and applied our factor 30 (Slip Slop Slap), and lay there for ¾ of an hour slowly toasting. Caroline grabbed my hand and we walked in to the sea for a paddle and boy it was cold. Anything above the waste made you go monkey. You did get used to it after a while, but there was no way either of us was really going to brave the cold water and swim.

We stayed down on the beach until 5.00pm, enjoying ourselves and watching Cliff fish, it is something I have never done and as Caroline is allergic to fish it was something that we didn’t really have in out house, but over here the thought of having a quiet fish just sort of appeals. Cliff managed to catch a Mullet, Sue cut its head off gutted and de-scaled it, they were going to use it as bait for fishing tomorrow.

Walking back in the late afternoon the sun was beautiful, 4 kids crossed the little wookety bridge and we waited for them to pass, we crossed it the other way and started to talk to their Mum and Dad, who asked us if the camper trailer was ours. We said it was and they said that they have just purchased one and were surprised how many were on the market. They went to the Caravan and Camping show to help them choose.

They as a family intend to start their
CarolineCarolineCaroline

Caroline on the beach, with Jabba
adventures in June this year. They were dairy/beef farmers and had just sold up their farm to a Blue Gum Forestry company and intend to have some fun. They Kindly invited us to a village cricket match tomorrow where we could get a BBQ dinner have fun and we would be most welcome, we will do our best to get there.

Getting back to the trailer we put the kettle on and sat and planned our evening dinner, we took the cooker and the Gas bottle up to the sunshade area along with all the kitchen tools and got to work. Cliff walked back with another fish he had caught wrapped in a tea towel.

Putting on the table Caroline opened it to have a look and it moved, she nearly took off with fright.

Caroline reversed the truck up to the barbecue area so that we could plug a light in to see what we were doing. Cliff also reversed his up so that we could have some music. It also made it much easier to sort out the dinner things without having to keep fetching and carrying.

We had a great evening; we sat
JabbaJabbaJabba

Caroline was getting creative in the sand
and talked all evening, listening to each other’s stories. Cliff has a great selection of music so we were listening to some golden oldies like Wizard, U2, well those are all I can remember, but it reflected his great taste in music.

Cliff and Sue told us that it would be their wedding anniversary tomorrow. Cliff forgot once before and Sue played a trick on him. He never forgot again.

During the evening an Apollo rental camper turned up, a young couple jumped out and so did the most beautiful dog you have ever seen (sorry, Nala, Wally, Trixie, Jack, Kimba, Tiny and Toby), Andy looked at the dog and said “it is a Samoid” confirmed by its owners, we find out that Coco is 5 months old, he has the sweetest face and the whitest fur. The owners are from New Zealand and Spain and they now live in Perth.

We have come across a lot of New Zealanders on Kangaroo Island and listen to their accents, words like Fish come out as Fush and Em frum Nu Zeland translates as I’m from New Zealand, I am sure you could work that out though. So with our involvement with Fish today, hence the blog title today of “Fush”.

At 10.00 exhausted from such a busy day we all retired to the confines of our tents. The night sky is magnificent against the dark background, again no light pollution to infiltrate.

At some very unkind hour we hear clunk, crash, thud, looking out of the window I can see the washing up bowl has been upturned. It looks like we had a visitor of the furry kind



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

CocoCoco
Coco

This is Coco, the Samoid pupy
A FushA Fush
A Fush

A fush Cliff Caught
Sun SetSun Set
Sun Set

Sunset at Western Cove


Tot: 0.92s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 29; qc: 187; dbt: 0.7144s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb