Day one – Heading to the Flinders


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Flinders Ranges
August 19th 2014
Published: August 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

With a kitchen renovation underway at home and nothing much happening for 2 weeks while the bench tops are cut to size; we decided to head out in the caravan where at least we have a functioning kitchen. Knowing the Flinders Rangers is spectacular at this time of year and the days likely to be sunnier and warmer than at home, it wasn’t a hard decision to make.



The van well stocked, we headed out of a chilly, gloomy Barossa early on Tuesday morning. We had the obligatory stop in Freeling to adjust the mirrors. Then on through fluorescent canola crops just beginning to flower, the richer gold acacias and the intense green of young grain crops full of harvest promise.



Our first stops, fuel and Knappsteins in Clare to stock the cellar. Just a balmy 11 degrees and still gloomy but a pre-lunch tasting did a lot to lift the mood, especially when we were rewarded for our purchases with a 2 bottle magnum of one of our favourite Rieslings. After a coffee, accompanied by Angie’s biscuits we set off again heading north. Just out of Clare a small group of sheep hurried across the road risking their lives in the path of our rig. Further on another much better behaved group cruised the long paddock under the control of two farmers on motor bikes



The route we chose took us along caravan friendly roads smooth, relatively flat and little traffic. Our friendly GPS insisted on taking us to Hawker via Crystal Brook. Fortunately she didn’t react much when we consistently ignored her instructions. Through Orroroo we went and onto Jamestown where we spotted a delightful Bakery; the perfect lunch spot. Lovely pies … and a London bun to go.



After fuelling at Hawker we decided to keep going the short distance to Rawnsley Park Station. We were not disappointed. Beautiful views and a glass of wine all shared with friendly neighbours. What more could one ask for? After sitting around a campfire enjoying the sun setting on Rawnsley Bluff we retired to our van for dinner and some added warmth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



21st August 2014

Camping
You are the fanciest campers I know ! Would expect nothing less.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb