DAY 14 ARKAROOLA


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Driving the tracks today. Arkaroola has constructed over 100km of internal tracks. They are definitely rougher and windier … very few ‘smooth’ sections, many rocky sections, dry creek crossings, dips, steep rocky, uneven inclines, declines of a similar ilk, rutted sections, crests and blind crest corners. Fortunately, we didn’t sight another vehicle until the final hour of our 6 hr jaunt, as passing would have been impossible in many parts. The Prado continually shook as did the passengers. Speed varied between 1kph to a max of 40kph. Coming to a complete stop was also common. Making up for the track conditions was the magnificent scenery featuring high granite outcrops rich in colour, mountain ranges blue in the distance, Sturt Desert Peas and the occasional emu.

During our exploration we stopped at the Ochre Wall with its rich layered colours, Welcome Mine, a series of abandoned shafts, Welcome Pound at the top of a steep incline giving views far into the distance before reaching Stubbs Waterhole at the base of a high Granite peak. Outdoor music events for the folk in this neck of the woods are held there. It is a beautiful place to set up camp and to hold such events.

From Stubbs Waterhole the track wound its way higher and became much rougher as we meandered through Claudes Pass before turning off for Arkaroola Springs, a small waterhole on a very large, dry riverbed. The area has been below average rainfall for 10 years. Not to be satisfied, we continued on the roughest track I have driven on for another 20km to Paralana Hot Springs, the only radioactive heated springs in the world. Yes, the water was flowing, and it was hot. Now I am glowing! We called it a day and headed home, well satisfied with our day’s outing. Jane continued by going to the see the shy and endangered Yellow-Footed Rock-Wallabies. Over half of the world’s population are here at Arkaroola.

Naturally, we finished with another wonderfully cooked meal and wine. It is pitch black outside as I write this and in another hour or so the night sky will be filled with stars, that you feel as if you can reach up and touch them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement






Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb