DAY 13 ARKAROOLA


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Arkaroola features many unique geological monuments, rugged mountains, towering granite peaks, magnificent gorges, and mysterious waterholes, and as I write this, very sore in many parts of my body, I am well pleased in the fact that Jane and I conquered one of the towering granite peaks (347m), by slogging it up and then down one of those rugged mountains to reach the summit of Acacia Ridge. The track was narrow, extremely rocky and unstable, particularly on the descent. However, the breathtaking vista from the summit of Arkaroola country in the northern Flinders Ranges, was very much worth the effort.

In the morning we drove to Bolla Bollana along one of the roughest tracks I have ever negotiated. Again, it was well worth the patience as at the base of the mighty face of the cliff, water was pooled for quite a way. The reflections were serene indeed. We also passed the Bolla Bollana copper smelter of many years past. The, wait for it, Nooldoonooldoona waterhole, on a dry riverbed, was also visited. To visit all these places took expert 4WD driving skill!!!

Even after all the strenuous hiking, Jane, bless her, still prepared a meal fit for a king. Chili con carne and tortillas, naturally wine featured prominently … for Jane, and deservedly so.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb